Skip to main content

Dropnote 2 Pony changing its pattern

Dropnote 2 Pony changing its pattern


After the tweet from @malware_traffic I found myself recognizing the callback pattern and thought I would take a look.


The initial callback after the successful exploitation was a POST-request to gate.php togheter with a few GET-requests for executables, both using HTTP/1.0 as shown below:

The first pattern looks alot like Pony (Pony is well documented on other blogs), however, I was expecting the usual "Microsoft 98" user-agent when inspecting the whole request, but instead I found:
Looking at Virustotal results, which at the time of writing is 3/52, its flagged as "Fareit" by ESET and Kaspersky. So now to the interesting part, what is this Pony up to?

Pony itself is normally around 86kb depending on configuration and the payload itself in this case is 164kb which does suggest that its either bundled with other malware, heavily modified version of Pony or that it includes alot of junkcode.

After running the sample under a debugger, setting breakpoints on CreateFileA and CreateFileW, I start finding interesting strings for example the "obfuscated" password used for encryption.

Just to mention, Pony stores the password it uses for encryption in an "obfuscated" pattern where each character is rotated two steps to the right. And looking at an unpacked version of Pony youll find that the password is listed just before the callback server.

The strings above confirm that this is indeed Pony, yet modified. Lets continue with the configuration and encryption.

By letting Pony run, using the same breakpoints we find several interesting URLs:
So now we got the encryption-key, two gates and several executables that will be downloaded. Lets try decrypting the posted data.

Pony 1.9 used two layers of RC4 to protect the data. The key for the first layer is the first four bytes in the POST-data, the second layer is encrypted with the key found in the binary.

Decrypting the first layer gives us the familiar string CRYPTED0:
And the second layer using the key guardian1 gives us a compressed report:


So the encryption-scheme is the same, the change up to this point is simply to be harder to detect together with the ability to steal Bitcoin wallets.

EDIT: More coverage on the Pony Loader "2.0" on https://blog.damballa.com/archives/2558.

$ date
Mon May 26 01:33:37 CEST 2014

h00p://ourlittleponic.pw/gate.php - Active
h00p://ourponicjunior.pw/gate.php - Domain doesnt resolve
h00p://softwaregamecenter.eu/store/2.exe - Domain doesnt resolve
h00p://softwaregamecenter.eu/store/3.exe - Domain doesnt resolve
h00p://freepicscenter.pw/store/2.exe - 27ce89cc842baf51de2e08e2baa50b24
h00p://freepicscenter.pw/store/3.exe - c1d40e3677ea39be891550f6b03d112d
h00p://freecenterpics.pw/store/2.exe - Domain doesnt resolve
h00p://freecenterpics.pw/store/3.exe - Domain doesnt resolve
h00p://picsfreecenter.pw/store/2.exe - Domain doesnt resolve
h00p://picsfreecenter.pw/store/3.exe - Domain doesnt resolve

Also found h00p://freepicscenter.pw/store/1.exe (1f195fdf14b2691fcc487f9a474ab443) to be active.

download file now

Popular posts from this blog

DVD Review Midsomer Murders Tom Barnabys Last Cases

DVD Review Midsomer Murders Tom Barnabys Last Cases Midsomer Murders: Tom Barnaby�s Last Cases DVD 15-Discs (24 hours) Released by Acorn Media on March 26, 2013. SRP $149.99 (DVD) Subtitles: English SDH 16:9 �I�m going to have my cake and eat it.� I was reading my review I did last year for the DVD set Midsomer Murders: Mayhem & Mystery Files and I was thinking how strange it was to have a period of my life without having this series I could go back to again and again. When I wrote the first review for this series, I knew I was going to like it but I was really surprised by how much I liked it. That DVD set is one that I go back to often. Luckily I have a short-term memory so I am not always sure who the murderer was but I really enjoy the settings and main characters. Purchasing this title from the link above directly helps my site! When I was able to review this new set, Midsomer Murders: Tom Barnaby�s Last Cases , I was very happy because I was able to see more great episod...

DVD Review Three Classic Charles Dickens BBC Productions

DVD Review Three Classic Charles Dickens BBC Productions As a fan of British television, especially programs from the 1960s & 1970s, I have been keeping my eye on what Simply Media has been outputting especially over the last couple of years. I have seen programs such as Softly, Softly: Taskforce , Doomwatch , Hugh and I , and Dr. Finlay�s Casebook get a DVD release.  Pretty much all of the releases above, I would have never thought any of those would have received a release in a physical format. It�s great to be wrong about this sort of thing because Simply Media keeps putting out content that features some of the heyday of BBC production. Monday, July 03 sees the release of the first set of Charles Dickens classics all produced by the BBC. Three separate titles have been released for the first time on DVD and it has been a treat to watch these: Our Mutual Friend (1958), Great Expectations (1967) & Dombey And Son (1969). I guess what I am really pleased about with this ...

DVD Review The Ice Warriors

DVD Review The Ice Warriors Doctor Who: The Ice Warriors Special Edition 2-DVD Set   (Main Feature: 143 min) Released by BBC Home Entertainment on September 17, 2013. SRP $34.98 (DVD) Subtitles: English SDH 4:3 Mono black & white (Main Feature) For those who do not want to believe a large cache of missing Doctor Who episodes have been returned, we get another release that takes missing episodes and gives it new lease on life by being animated. This time we look at the very first story to feature that race from Mars known as the Ice Warriors. It supports a tremendous guest cast, generally looks really good and is considered an all-time classic from the famous Season 5 �Monster Season� of Doctor Who . This seems to have everything but yet I find that I have always been underwhelmed by the story. I go a long way back with The Ice Warriors . When I was younger and was into the whole video tape-trading culture, we were extremely happy when we heard the discovery of Episodes 1,4,5,6...