Skip to main content

Dulls Dulls S T EP

Dulls Dulls S T EP



Reviewed by Joseph Murphy

In recent years, psych, shoegaze and 90s-era indie rock have all been revisited, dismantled, and rebuilt but, every now and then, a band emerges from the wash with a refreshing take on the sound, recalling more than their idols� guitar tones and teen angst. With their self-titled EP, out on limited tapes this past January, Philadelphia, PA�s Dulls treads some new ground over the course of four long-for-pop songs � hazy, doleful rock that recalls some current favorites and many past heavy rotations.

Though peers have often taken alternate routes, Dulls explores the subtler side � minimalist rather than maximalist (think Galaxie 500 or Black Tambourine) � and it works well for them as they, in turn, favor inventive structure and the natural voices of their instruments over oblique noise washes. Of course, Dulls is still willing to unleash a lead that drips with reverb and delay, but, as a whole, they pace themselves, welcoming punk bite and psych overtones into the fold, too. Throughout, they�ve stripped dark, atmospheric pop songs to their necessary parts. The four songs are rough in all the right ways � lo-fi, gritty, experimental � but prove themselves over continued listens with depth and warmth too.

The EP hinges upon a dynamic, explored between songs but also within songs or passages. The light, impressionist progressions are often off-set by hard-working bass lines; blissed, psych leads by lush, dream pop. Starter, �Clay� builds upon a hazy, melody with sonorous bass and drums but takes an interesting turn during its middle passage, utilizing drones to sustain the progression before returning in full force. Alternately, �Glow� strikes a different stance, immediate and direct from the start, almost dripping with punk swagger. Within this range, Dulls has found their balance, creating an impressive and promising debut.

�Dulls� is available digitally or on limited edition cassette (with download) from their Bandcamp page, where you can preview three songs.

Look for more from Dulls � and hopefully soon.


download file now

Popular posts from this blog

DVD Review Midsomer Murders Tom Barnabys Last Cases

DVD Review Midsomer Murders Tom Barnabys Last Cases Midsomer Murders: Tom Barnaby�s Last Cases DVD 15-Discs (24 hours) Released by Acorn Media on March 26, 2013. SRP $149.99 (DVD) Subtitles: English SDH 16:9 �I�m going to have my cake and eat it.� I was reading my review I did last year for the DVD set Midsomer Murders: Mayhem & Mystery Files and I was thinking how strange it was to have a period of my life without having this series I could go back to again and again. When I wrote the first review for this series, I knew I was going to like it but I was really surprised by how much I liked it. That DVD set is one that I go back to often. Luckily I have a short-term memory so I am not always sure who the murderer was but I really enjoy the settings and main characters. Purchasing this title from the link above directly helps my site! When I was able to review this new set, Midsomer Murders: Tom Barnaby�s Last Cases , I was very happy because I was able to see more great episod...

DVD Review Three Classic Charles Dickens BBC Productions

DVD Review Three Classic Charles Dickens BBC Productions As a fan of British television, especially programs from the 1960s & 1970s, I have been keeping my eye on what Simply Media has been outputting especially over the last couple of years. I have seen programs such as Softly, Softly: Taskforce , Doomwatch , Hugh and I , and Dr. Finlay�s Casebook get a DVD release.  Pretty much all of the releases above, I would have never thought any of those would have received a release in a physical format. It�s great to be wrong about this sort of thing because Simply Media keeps putting out content that features some of the heyday of BBC production. Monday, July 03 sees the release of the first set of Charles Dickens classics all produced by the BBC. Three separate titles have been released for the first time on DVD and it has been a treat to watch these: Our Mutual Friend (1958), Great Expectations (1967) & Dombey And Son (1969). I guess what I am really pleased about with this ...

DVD Review The Ice Warriors

DVD Review The Ice Warriors Doctor Who: The Ice Warriors Special Edition 2-DVD Set   (Main Feature: 143 min) Released by BBC Home Entertainment on September 17, 2013. SRP $34.98 (DVD) Subtitles: English SDH 4:3 Mono black & white (Main Feature) For those who do not want to believe a large cache of missing Doctor Who episodes have been returned, we get another release that takes missing episodes and gives it new lease on life by being animated. This time we look at the very first story to feature that race from Mars known as the Ice Warriors. It supports a tremendous guest cast, generally looks really good and is considered an all-time classic from the famous Season 5 �Monster Season� of Doctor Who . This seems to have everything but yet I find that I have always been underwhelmed by the story. I go a long way back with The Ice Warriors . When I was younger and was into the whole video tape-trading culture, we were extremely happy when we heard the discovery of Episodes 1,4,5,6...