Skip to main content

Duncan Maitland Lullabies for the 21st Century Orgone Box Lorne Park Tapes

Duncan Maitland Lullabies for the 21st Century Orgone Box Lorne Park Tapes



Reviewed by Nathan Ford

Weve got two great new releases from vinyl specialists Sugarbush Records to look at today. Sugarbush head honcho Markus Holler has impeccable taste, releasing limited edition vinyl pressings of recent albums not previously released on vinyl as well as brand new releases, mostly in the psychedelic / jangle pop / power-pop fields, many of which weve favourably covered in the past.

First to see the stylus from this duo is Dublins Duncan Maitland and his 2010 debut "Lullabies for the 21st Century". XTCs Colin Moulding plays bass on the first track, which should give you an idea what to expect here. Its a beautifully produced album that fans of XTC and Pugwash will love, full of lush, rainy day sunshine pop songs, with a progressive influence to the song structures; check out "Handbirds" - lovely melancholy stuff.

Elsewhere "Terry The Toad" demonstrates some power pop muscle, "Alien at Home" marries impeccable pop hooks with psychedelic studio electrickery, "Horror Stories" is a kaleidoscopic, Pepperesque anthem and "Insect Under the Stone" is playfully Nilsson -like. "Lucky You" even hints at Steven Wilsons more straightforward song-based material, with a lovely, lyrical slide guitar riff that you could be forgiven for mistaking for David Gilmour.

Great headphone album this too, with all sorts of things going on production-wise, and tunes to match.

Next up we have a real treat. Im a huge fan of Rick Corcoran AKA Orgone Box. So much so that we somehow managed to talk Rick into letting us release the digital version of his excellent "Centaur" album, which Sugarbush handled on vinyl. Hes one of those artists that is known by few, but loved by almost all who hear him. "The Lorne Park Tapes" is a collection of four track recordings from the early nineties, none of which have previously seen the light of day (at least in this form, several tracks were re-recorded for the second Orgone Box album).

The production may be rough around the edges, but the arrangements here are all fully realised and the songs are once again just fantastic. If anyone can lay claim to being the one-man Beatles, its Rick. Combining McCartneys effortless melodicism with Lennons restless ire brings out the best from both camps, and there are plenty of songs here that would have been highlights on either artists solo albums, although little that either recorded after the breakup is as Beatlesque as these gems. Im dying to see what else is in Ricks archive.

Recommended unequivocally to all Beatles fans, and anyone with a penchant for classic pop tunes.

Both are available direct from the label here with all prices including free shipping worldwide.


download file now

Popular posts from this blog

DVD Review Midsomer Murders Tom Barnabys Last Cases

DVD Review Midsomer Murders Tom Barnabys Last Cases Midsomer Murders: Tom Barnaby�s Last Cases DVD 15-Discs (24 hours) Released by Acorn Media on March 26, 2013. SRP $149.99 (DVD) Subtitles: English SDH 16:9 �I�m going to have my cake and eat it.� I was reading my review I did last year for the DVD set Midsomer Murders: Mayhem & Mystery Files and I was thinking how strange it was to have a period of my life without having this series I could go back to again and again. When I wrote the first review for this series, I knew I was going to like it but I was really surprised by how much I liked it. That DVD set is one that I go back to often. Luckily I have a short-term memory so I am not always sure who the murderer was but I really enjoy the settings and main characters. Purchasing this title from the link above directly helps my site! When I was able to review this new set, Midsomer Murders: Tom Barnaby�s Last Cases , I was very happy because I was able to see more great episod...

DVD Review Three Classic Charles Dickens BBC Productions

DVD Review Three Classic Charles Dickens BBC Productions As a fan of British television, especially programs from the 1960s & 1970s, I have been keeping my eye on what Simply Media has been outputting especially over the last couple of years. I have seen programs such as Softly, Softly: Taskforce , Doomwatch , Hugh and I , and Dr. Finlay�s Casebook get a DVD release.  Pretty much all of the releases above, I would have never thought any of those would have received a release in a physical format. It�s great to be wrong about this sort of thing because Simply Media keeps putting out content that features some of the heyday of BBC production. Monday, July 03 sees the release of the first set of Charles Dickens classics all produced by the BBC. Three separate titles have been released for the first time on DVD and it has been a treat to watch these: Our Mutual Friend (1958), Great Expectations (1967) & Dombey And Son (1969). I guess what I am really pleased about with this ...

DVD Review The Ice Warriors

DVD Review The Ice Warriors Doctor Who: The Ice Warriors Special Edition 2-DVD Set   (Main Feature: 143 min) Released by BBC Home Entertainment on September 17, 2013. SRP $34.98 (DVD) Subtitles: English SDH 4:3 Mono black & white (Main Feature) For those who do not want to believe a large cache of missing Doctor Who episodes have been returned, we get another release that takes missing episodes and gives it new lease on life by being animated. This time we look at the very first story to feature that race from Mars known as the Ice Warriors. It supports a tremendous guest cast, generally looks really good and is considered an all-time classic from the famous Season 5 �Monster Season� of Doctor Who . This seems to have everything but yet I find that I have always been underwhelmed by the story. I go a long way back with The Ice Warriors . When I was younger and was into the whole video tape-trading culture, we were extremely happy when we heard the discovery of Episodes 1,4,5,6...