Skip to main content

DVD Recommendation La La Land Starring Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling

DVD Recommendation La La Land Starring Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling



La La Land was the recipient of six Academy Awards, including Best Director (Damien Chazelle) and Best Actress (Emma Stone), earlier this year and is now available on DVD and On Demand. The musical effort is a love letter to Los Angeles and features a perfect mix of retro and contemporary elements. Chazelle is a clever director and defies viewers to pinpoint a time frame for the events of the film, at least until Mia Dolans (Stone) cell phone rings and chimes. Those sounds brings viewers into the present day, only to drawn back to the past with references to Old Hollywood and a jazz infused soundtrack that sounds both retro and fresh at the same time, if that is even possible.

This story is about love and having dreams of a bright and successful future. Mia is an aspiring actress and Sebastian (Ryan Gosling) is a creative musician who has much potential, but also hates taking orders from others, thus causing him to flirt with being a starving artist. Mia and Sebastian meet under awkward circumstances featuring road rage and rudeness, both of which Sebastian is guilty of instigating. The seemingly star crossed lovers continue to run into each other until Sebastian finally asks Mia out on a date. For several months, the duo get along famously, but after a nasty verbal argument their future is placed in jeopardy. Neither party is completely innocent, but Sebastian is more of an antagonist. Despite the rift, they remain close and continue to support each other until destiny intervenes and great opportunities open up for each of the talented youngsters, which breaks them apart, but in an amicable fashion. However, true love is difficult to forget and they keep finding each other, for better or for worse. 

La La Land boasts a sensational score and many memorable songs. However, I was initially doubtful about the film because the two opening musical numbers did nothing for me. I thought I was in for a rough two hours, but the music and the performances become the heart and soul of this outstanding effort. Gosling and Stone delivers superb performances which include several song and dance numbers that further the story. I believe both performances are award worthy and I can understand why Stone won the Academy Award as she is equally adept at comedy and drama as well as singing and dancing. Indeed, she does it all beautifully. The supporting cast includes J.K. Simmons in a familiar role, as well as singer John Legend and veteran actor Tom Everett Scott. In addition, the cinematography, by Linus Sandgren, is sensational and helps to convey the mood of this timeless story that is set in a sometimes ethereal world. That mood is perfectly captured for the duration of the film and is one of its most appealing features. Damien Chazelle has crafted an exceptional film that is worthy of the many accolades that is received this past year and has made me much more fond of musicals that I was before. Bravo. 

download file now

Popular posts from this blog

DVD Review Midsomer Murders Tom Barnabys Last Cases

DVD Review Midsomer Murders Tom Barnabys Last Cases Midsomer Murders: Tom Barnaby�s Last Cases DVD 15-Discs (24 hours) Released by Acorn Media on March 26, 2013. SRP $149.99 (DVD) Subtitles: English SDH 16:9 �I�m going to have my cake and eat it.� I was reading my review I did last year for the DVD set Midsomer Murders: Mayhem & Mystery Files and I was thinking how strange it was to have a period of my life without having this series I could go back to again and again. When I wrote the first review for this series, I knew I was going to like it but I was really surprised by how much I liked it. That DVD set is one that I go back to often. Luckily I have a short-term memory so I am not always sure who the murderer was but I really enjoy the settings and main characters. Purchasing this title from the link above directly helps my site! When I was able to review this new set, Midsomer Murders: Tom Barnaby�s Last Cases , I was very happy because I was able to see more great episod...

DVD Review Three Classic Charles Dickens BBC Productions

DVD Review Three Classic Charles Dickens BBC Productions As a fan of British television, especially programs from the 1960s & 1970s, I have been keeping my eye on what Simply Media has been outputting especially over the last couple of years. I have seen programs such as Softly, Softly: Taskforce , Doomwatch , Hugh and I , and Dr. Finlay�s Casebook get a DVD release.  Pretty much all of the releases above, I would have never thought any of those would have received a release in a physical format. It�s great to be wrong about this sort of thing because Simply Media keeps putting out content that features some of the heyday of BBC production. Monday, July 03 sees the release of the first set of Charles Dickens classics all produced by the BBC. Three separate titles have been released for the first time on DVD and it has been a treat to watch these: Our Mutual Friend (1958), Great Expectations (1967) & Dombey And Son (1969). I guess what I am really pleased about with this ...

DVD Review The Ice Warriors

DVD Review The Ice Warriors Doctor Who: The Ice Warriors Special Edition 2-DVD Set   (Main Feature: 143 min) Released by BBC Home Entertainment on September 17, 2013. SRP $34.98 (DVD) Subtitles: English SDH 4:3 Mono black & white (Main Feature) For those who do not want to believe a large cache of missing Doctor Who episodes have been returned, we get another release that takes missing episodes and gives it new lease on life by being animated. This time we look at the very first story to feature that race from Mars known as the Ice Warriors. It supports a tremendous guest cast, generally looks really good and is considered an all-time classic from the famous Season 5 �Monster Season� of Doctor Who . This seems to have everything but yet I find that I have always been underwhelmed by the story. I go a long way back with The Ice Warriors . When I was younger and was into the whole video tape-trading culture, we were extremely happy when we heard the discovery of Episodes 1,4,5,6...