Skip to main content

DVD Recommendation Split Starring James McAvoy

DVD Recommendation Split Starring James McAvoy



Writer/director M. Night Shyamalan tackles Dissociative Identity Disorder in his latest thriller, Split, starring James McAvoy. Shyamalan captures some of his former magic with Split, which was a huge box office hit earlier this year. McAvoy portrays the title character, Kevin Wendell Crumb, who exhibits at least 23 personalities and is in the care of Dr. Karen Fletcher (Betty Buckley), a psychiatrist who has great empathy for Kevin because of his challenges with serious mental illness. The illness is allegedly the result of child abuse and the many personalities are Kevins way of dealing with his pain. Some of the personalities are more dominant that others, while one is kept at bay for reasons that will be revealed late in the film. 

In the opening scene, Kevin kidnaps three teenage girls who he believes have led charmed lives and have not suffered like he and so many others have. His plans are muddled because of his other personalities who have varied reactions to the terrified youngsters. As a result of the kidnappings, Kevin makes several emergency calls to Dr. Fletcher for help, but she does not appear to understand just how troubled Kevin and company are until it is too late. 

In the hands of James AcAvoy, the lead character is believable and tragic, not monstrous and/or cartoonish. McAvoy delivers some of his best work to date and has great material to work with. I was a bit skeptical about how the events would play out early on, but Shyamalans screenplay adds a very interesting, cerebral and important element that elevates this film above the average thriller. Betty Buckley is also quite effective as the good hearted psychiatrist who sincerely wants to help her patient, but does not suspect the potential power of his mind and the damage it is capable of inflicting. Split is an extremely well acted, written and directed thriller that will likely become a series of films based on its box office success and creative prowess. However, if McAvoy does not return in the lead role, it would be best to let this be a stand alone effort. 

download file now

Popular posts from this blog

DVD Review Midsomer Murders Tom Barnabys Last Cases

DVD Review Midsomer Murders Tom Barnabys Last Cases Midsomer Murders: Tom Barnaby�s Last Cases DVD 15-Discs (24 hours) Released by Acorn Media on March 26, 2013. SRP $149.99 (DVD) Subtitles: English SDH 16:9 �I�m going to have my cake and eat it.� I was reading my review I did last year for the DVD set Midsomer Murders: Mayhem & Mystery Files and I was thinking how strange it was to have a period of my life without having this series I could go back to again and again. When I wrote the first review for this series, I knew I was going to like it but I was really surprised by how much I liked it. That DVD set is one that I go back to often. Luckily I have a short-term memory so I am not always sure who the murderer was but I really enjoy the settings and main characters. Purchasing this title from the link above directly helps my site! When I was able to review this new set, Midsomer Murders: Tom Barnaby�s Last Cases , I was very happy because I was able to see more great episod...

DVD Review Three Classic Charles Dickens BBC Productions

DVD Review Three Classic Charles Dickens BBC Productions As a fan of British television, especially programs from the 1960s & 1970s, I have been keeping my eye on what Simply Media has been outputting especially over the last couple of years. I have seen programs such as Softly, Softly: Taskforce , Doomwatch , Hugh and I , and Dr. Finlay�s Casebook get a DVD release.  Pretty much all of the releases above, I would have never thought any of those would have received a release in a physical format. It�s great to be wrong about this sort of thing because Simply Media keeps putting out content that features some of the heyday of BBC production. Monday, July 03 sees the release of the first set of Charles Dickens classics all produced by the BBC. Three separate titles have been released for the first time on DVD and it has been a treat to watch these: Our Mutual Friend (1958), Great Expectations (1967) & Dombey And Son (1969). I guess what I am really pleased about with this ...

DVD Review The Ice Warriors

DVD Review The Ice Warriors Doctor Who: The Ice Warriors Special Edition 2-DVD Set   (Main Feature: 143 min) Released by BBC Home Entertainment on September 17, 2013. SRP $34.98 (DVD) Subtitles: English SDH 4:3 Mono black & white (Main Feature) For those who do not want to believe a large cache of missing Doctor Who episodes have been returned, we get another release that takes missing episodes and gives it new lease on life by being animated. This time we look at the very first story to feature that race from Mars known as the Ice Warriors. It supports a tremendous guest cast, generally looks really good and is considered an all-time classic from the famous Season 5 �Monster Season� of Doctor Who . This seems to have everything but yet I find that I have always been underwhelmed by the story. I go a long way back with The Ice Warriors . When I was younger and was into the whole video tape-trading culture, we were extremely happy when we heard the discovery of Episodes 1,4,5,6...