DVD Review The Aztecs Special Edition

Released by BBC Home Entertainment on March 12, 2013. SRP $34.98 (DVD)
Subtitles: English SDH 4:3 Mono (Main Feature)
Has there ever been a time when a new release of a Doctor Who story has been completely overshadowed by 25 minutes of different content in the set? I think this release certainly has that going for it in some way. Back in December of 2011 we were all shocked with the amazing news that two previously missing episodes of Doctor Who had been found. One of those episodes makes its debut on this DVD set. This release has been met in fan circles by both joy and disappointment because some fans feel that they are forced to buy a re-release of a story to be able to see a previously unreleased episode. Is this the case? I don�t feel that way.
Maybe I am one of those mindless sheep that just goes with the flow when it comes to buying Special Editions but I love owning episodes of Doctor Who. While many fans were satisfied with recording a copy off PBS, I strived to find copies of episodes as close as quality to the master as possible. Everyone�s experience and reason for collecting Doctor Who is different which makes hearing everyone�s story fun but for me it is all about getting episodes in the best possible quality. If the BBC offered us a chance to buy uncompressed MOV files (roughly 25gb per episode) of episodes that are the same quality as the source material, I wouldn�t think twice about buying them. I want these in the best possible quality. As time goes by technology changes and evolves which gives way to new processes to restore these episodes. I think some fans feel that it�s the BBC �screwing us over� because they know we will buy anything. I do not hold this view. I feel that the stories that are getting the Special Edition treatment are coming in line with the majority of the restoration of the other stories already available. When this DVD line is complete, these stories will all have basically the same quality and scope of restoration done with technology all from the same time.

Now if you are reading this and have not seen The Aztecs before, first of all if you purchase it make sure you buy the Special Edition and not the one that has just one disc. The cover should look like the one at the top of this article. Secondly, if you haven�t seen it you are in for a treat.

When the Doctor, Ian and Susan catch up with her, Barbara is in very formal ceremonial garb which befits her status as a god. The Doctor explains to Barbara the problem they face: they got out of the tomb but there is no way back into it. The TARDIS is still in the tomb. They can�t escape. The plan is to keep two high priests believing that Barbara is Yetaxa while the Doctor does some research to find out how they can all get back into the tomb.
The two high priests are Autloc who is the High Priest of Knowledge and Tlotoxl who is the High Priest of Sacrifice. Autloc believes so strongly in Barbara as Yetaxa that is faith is ultimately put into question. Meanwhile Tlotoxl is scheming from the start. He soon starts to question Yetaxa�s validity as a god even before Barbara acts foolishly. Barbara is a good person who was a school teacher from the 1960s. Suddenly she is faced with not only being revered as a god but because she has a kind heart wants to put an end to the Aztec practice of sacrificing people to their gods. This does not go well. Autloc is open-minded but Tlotoxl starts to decry her as a false god. Barbara has made an enemy. This is where she has put everyone in danger. The Aztecs was the second historical story. I don�t count the last 3 episodes of An Unearthly Child since that is a story that takes place in the past but, to me, not a historical. Marco Polo was the first and was written by John Lucarotti. John also wrote this story. I think he excelled well with these historical stories. The one thing that frustrates me every time I watch it is that even though the time-traveler�s lives depend on fitting into the Aztec civilization until they can find their way back into the tomb, they have a problem with accepting the Aztec culture. I guess I am really thinking of Barbara and Susan. Now, Barbara is a different story. She felt that she could use her standing as a god to change the Aztec civilization and the course of history. This is when the series made a stand about the Doctor and his companions going back in time but cannot interfere. There is the famous scene with the Doctor pleading with Barbara to not take the course she is planning with interrupting a sacrifice before a �miracle� occurs. The Doctor explains to her that she can�t change history, �not one line of it!� It is fantastic and powerful scene as even when he explains it to her, she doesn�t listen. Susan is a little more puzzling.

Apart from the regular cast, in my opinion the stand out performance goes to John Ringham as Tlotoxl. As I mentioned earlier, he schemes a lot and manipulates people to do his bidding. This being more of a family series in the 1960s, we don�t get the grandeur of how creepy his performance could have been. Tlotoxl could have been an unnerving character because of all the deaths he has overseen. In fact in the production text, it talks about how the script describes him with ratted hair and blood stained garments. I think that is all there but I wonder what a darker Tlotoxl could have been like?

The Aztecs was remastered with the most current restoration and video tools available. VIDfire itself has been improved since the original disc was released. Episodes 2-4 look great. It has a strong video look with the blacks looking very deep. Everything is sharp and I think there is a great improvement. The credits are fixed as the font used in the original release was too thin. Episode 1, The Temple of Evil, really doesn�t look great to me at all. I e-mailed someone about this for their opinion and as I told him, I am going to contradict myself in terms of describing what I am seeing. There is a lot of artifacting in the first episode yet in some places it looks almost smeary. The episode, to me, just doesn�t look good. Sometimes it almost looks like there is some ghosting too. It�s almost like there is an encoding error for just that episode alone.
![]() |
| The Temple of Evil doesnt quite look right to me. |
Galaxy Four/Air Lock
It�s not often that an episode of Doctor Who gets released that has never seen a release of any kind before because it only was found just over a year ago. To read the story about it, go here. Since its recovery there have been a lot of questions about how Air Lock was going to be released. Many had wondered if secret plans were afoot to animate the other 3 episode. At the Gallifrey convention in LA this year, Dan Hall mentioned that there were thoughts about making it available on iTunes. I personally am not a fan of that and I am glad that the decision was made to include it on this disc but as I said at the beginning of this review, it was a little controversial but that is not the only time Galaxy 4 has been controversial for the DVD range. Back in 2008, when the R1 DVD of The Time Meddler was released, we found out that an extra was commissioned but never used that was meant to be on that disc. It was a cut down reconstruction of Galaxy 4. This was done by Derek Handley who works on the Telesnap Reconstructions for the group Loose Cannon and he provided the cut down reconstruction for Marco Polo on The Beginnings set. If I recall correctly it wasn�t released because it was felt that fans would not accept reconstructions when animation could be done. This is possible yet not a view held by me. Shockingly and uncharacteristically for Doctor Who fans, many were more upset about what they didn�t get on that release opposed to appreciating what they had. Obviously I am generalizing but some people had never forgotten about this reconstruction omission.

The quality of the restoration to Air Lock is superb. It is hard to put words to it since it follows the same quality of other releases. It is fantastic. I love Galaxy 4 as a story plus Air Lock was the one I really wanted to see if any of the episodes from that story would be found. The director, Derek Martinus, has these great crane shots that start over the actors and lowers the camera down to the action. William Hartnell is in tremendous form here. He is engaging and fun. This is a treat to watch. I think the biggest surprise for me when seeing the episode for the first time is that when the Rills tell the story of how they and the Drahvins crash land on the planet, it is told in a flashback sequence from the perspective of the Rills with Maaga killing one of her own soldier. Even more amazingly is that the soldier was bleeding profusely from the crash. In the audio, I just thought the Rill was telling the story to Vicki and the Doctor. I had no idea it was a flashback.
The print that was found was missing the last few minutes of the episode. This needed to be reconstructed using some of the previous footage on the same sets from earlier in the episode. The end result is not bad but the version I had seen from last year had it done a different way which I feel was more sympathetic to the style of how it would have been done in the 1960s. I know it sounds like I am complaining but I really am not. Work has gone into this to make it the best it can be and I am thrilled we have the opportunity to watch Air Lock. This is a great 1960s story and I still cannot believe I can watch one of the episodes now.
This is a two disc set and provides a mix of extras from the original release and new stuff added to this Special Edition. Let�s start with Disc 1:
Audio Commentary: This is a feature that was ported over from the original release. This commentary brings us William Russell, Carole Ann Ford and Verity Lambert. This is a great example of how these commentaries are so special. Verity passed away in 2007. I do not watch one of these stories from her time as Producer without thinking about her. Perhaps it was because her passing was a shock for me at the time but also I am so impressed with how much Sydney Newman believed in her for this job and what a strong woman she was in a field that was primarily dominated by men.Remembering the Aztecs: From the original release. It�s an interview featuring John Ringham (Tlotoxl), Walter Randall (Tonila), and Ian Cullen (Ixta). This was among the early days of adding extra content to the range such as interviews. Perhaps not as �fancy� as some of the more recent efforts, these are strong interviews that talks directly with these actors about what they remember from a story made nearly 40 years earlier from the time of the interview. In some ways, I prefer this approach. Also, it is nice to see as John Ringham as he is no longer with us.

Cortez and Montezuma (extract from Blue Peter): From the original release. How many boys living in the UK in the 1960s and 1970s had a crush on Valerie Singleton? She is great and I will simply watch anything she is in. She is on location for this extract and I love contextual programs, especially from the archive, included on these releases.

Making Cocoa: From the original release. From the original release. It�s a bit of fluff and fun but not really my cup of tea�..or cocoa!
TARDIS Cam #3: From the original release. I never really understood these but they generally done well.
Chronicle � The Realms of Gold: John Julius Norwhich�s 1969 program on the Spanish conquest of Mexico and the Aztecs. Shot on film, it is a fascinating program showing some real nice locations. There is a lot of detail. I mean a lot of detail. It moves slowly as we lumber towards the end of the Aztec civilization yet I love every minute of it. Stuff like this and the Blu Peter extract is very welcome to me.



Packaging:
This new cover is designed by Lee Binding. For the most part it works; the composition is quite nice. It is much improved over the original R1 DVD cover but I still find the original R2 DVD cover which makes Barbara the focal point to be the best. After all, this is her story.As mentioned above, I wish DVD 2 would allow us to access just the episode Air Lock instead of chaptering through all of the Galaxy 4 recon to get to it. I personally am not a big fan of the presentation of that story on this DVD but the content is great.
Here are some comparative screen grabs between the 2003 R1 Release and this new set. Click on the image and arrow to the next one to see next frame.download file now
