DVD Review Inferno Special Edition

Released by BBC Home Entertainment on June 11, 2013. SRP $34.98 (DVD)
Subtitles: English SDH 4:3 Mono (Main Feature)
Season 7 of Doctor Who is easily one of my most favorites of the entire run of the series. There is a very fresh feel to the series with the new Doctor being exiled to Earth and partnering with the military organization UNIT. I don�t know about anyone else but I do watch Doctor Who in order continuously and when I get to the Pertwee episodes starting with Season 7, it actually takes some time to get used to it because the series is vastly different from what we have seen up to that point. No longer is the Doctor exploring space but can almost be confused as a civil servant working for Her Majesty�s government. Obviously that description is a little overboard but things for the series changed substantially.
Purchasing these titles from the links above directly helps my site!





Finally, with this DVD release of Inferno I see a beautiful picture. Sometimes I can�t believe I am even watching it. The fact that The Claws of Axos was the last article added to the Restoration Team page is significant because I believe that generally speaking the restoration used on The Claws of Axos is much the same used on Inferno. I know at least one member of the Restoration Team occasionally checks out these articles. If what I am saying is completely off, let me know and I will update the article.

If you are someone who does not like the idea of Special Editions, I can understand the hesitation but these have been really worthwhile. Below I will expand on all the extras that are included on this set but for me it always comes down to the episodes themselves. I want these things to look the best they possibly can. I have a keen interest in restoration and to see something like Inferno come to life like this means a lot to me. You can put as many documentaries you want on these discs but to me, it is all about the episodes. Inferno looks the best I have ever seen it. It actually looks like 2� video. There isn�t a weird staticy pattern over the video. The picture isn�t smeary. I love how these episodes look. For something like Inferno to have such a 360 degree turn around in quality makes this DVD an essential purchase for me.
Extras:Audio Commentary: (from previous release) Nicholas Courtney, Barry Letts, and Terrance Dicks. John Leven pops in for a couple of episodes on his own. This commentary was recorded before getting a moderator on these commentaries. There isn�t anyone like Toby Hadoke on it and that is fine at least for this release. It very conversational and fun with Barry doing a great job leading the discussion and explaining some of the production issues facing the story when director Douglas Camfield got ill. John Levene is amusing especially when he talks about his approach to playing a Primord.
Production Subtitles: newly written by Martin Wiggins and they are, as usual, amazing with all sorts of minutia. Incredible!




Packaging: It comes in a standard double disc Amary case with a cover by Lee Binding. The new cover is much better than the original R1 cover but still isn�t quite right. I am a big fan of the R2 cover by Clayton Hickman. I do like the simplicity of the cover but small details annoy me such as the Brigade Leader on the cover is taken from two different photos. The head is out of proportion with the body. At least the spine of the story is spelled correctly unlike the spine for The Mind of Evil. Oops.
Here are some comparative screen grabs between the 2006 R1 Release and this new set. Click on the image and arrow to the next one to see next frame.







![]() |
| Here is a split screen between the original DVD (left) and 2013 restoration (right). Courtesy of Robert Franks. |

Have a great week!
Do you have feedback, article requests or want to talk about a program but do not want to leave a public comment? Feel free to drop me an e-mail at FTA13867@gmail.comI am on Twitter: @FromtheArchive
Also please subscribe to my From the Archive: British Television Blog Facebook Page for updates about new articles.
download file now
