DVD Review Midsomer Murders Set 21

Released by Acorn Media on January 1, 2013. SRP $49.99 (DVD) $59.99 (Blu Ray)
Series 14 of this wonderful murder mystery starts out with a change for everyone. At the end of the final episode of the previous series, Fit for Murder, DCI Tom Barnaby says he wants to retire and he does. We enter into Series 14 with a new face of DCI John Barnaby. He is actually the cousin of Tom. When I say he is a new face that is not entirely true either. John Barnaby first shows up in the Series 13 episode The Sword of Guillaume and Tom Barnaby�s last episode Fit for Murder.

Death in the Slow Lane Original UK airdate: 3/23/11
This is a great start to the John Barnaby era. Like I mentioned above, there is a little tension between Barnaby and Jones but they have to investigate a murder at a school that is holding a classic car show. A young man is impaled by a car crank while some of the students in the school are up to no good. Once again, this episode has beautiful British country that surrounds the school. Students using their phones make a big part in how the episode unfolds. Students take pictures of everything but do they take too many pictures? We see John Barnaby in his new house. His wife works in education and she will be joining him soon. He soon has a lot of neighbors stopping by and welcoming him. John is not exactly a personable sort of guy. He may be polite but he really doesn�t want to visit people or have people visit him. Jones stops by at one point only to see Barnaby talking to himself. Of course he wasn�t, he was talking to his Jack Russell dog Sykes. Sykes might be my favorite new character on Midsomer Murders. Guest stars in this episode include David Warner, Samantha Bond and Susan Engel. Everything I have seen Susan Engel in (Doctor Who: Stones of Blood, Armchair Thriller: Quiet as a Nun) she�s been a baddy. Is she one here?

I love the setting of this big country manor that houses a reclusive couple named the Binghams. Their daughter Selina takes care of them while her husband Eddie runs the business. A social worker who tried to find out more about the reclusive couple is murdered. Barnaby and Jones need to investigate and figure out what is going on. What they uncover goes back over 30 years and truly do bring up dark secrets. There are some nasty concepts that happen in this episode which re-enforces why greed and corruption are bad things. In case you needed reminding. In this episode we meet Barnaby�s wife Sarah. She is a friendly nice person who is heading up a school. She is friendly while John is a little more distant. There is a great scene that when Jones meets Sarah, she remarks to him, �Please stop by whenever you want.� When Jones and Barnaby head to the car, Barnaby just nonchalantly says to Jones, �She didn�t mean it you know; you stopping by.� I love that line; it just makes Barnaby�s character more endearing.

This is my favorite episode of the four in this set. This is another great episode that has a lot of different dimensions to it. Sometimes it is easy to see who the killer is but this was really well done. This episode features a serial killer. One who leaves notes written in lipstick. The murders become more gruesome as one person is even dismembered. This takes place in a small village where the people who live there have their own secrets including a peeping tom. It is an unsettling episode and plays really well from the backdrop of this quaint English village. This episode had me super tired for work one day as I started watching it way too late the night before and was up way past my bedtime. I just couldn�t stop watching it. There is also a storyline where Jones knows one of the people who is being questioned. He owns a pub but used to work as a police officer. His name is Matt Rowntree. Those two don�t get along at all. Guest cast in this episode include Ron Cook, Daisy Haggard, and Pam Ferris.

This episode is probably my least favorite of this set. The story centers around a new-age cult that refuses to give any information about one of their member who has disappeared and no longer contacts her parents or for that manner anyone else. Barnaby sends Jones in undercover to see what is going on. The cult appears to be an affirmation sort of group. Trying to find your inner self while promoting free love. It is kind of an odd and unfocused sort of group. The group is headquartered in the house of one of the members who parents had died in a propane explosion accident on a boat. The episode feels out of place with the others and I found the characters not as interesting as in other episodes. I may go back and re-watch it to see if I will like it better the next time I watch it but I just didn�t connect with any of the characters. There is a nice storyline with Sykes as John and Sarah are trying to get him into this group of other dogs handled by Millie Bullard. Millie is played by Barbara Flynn who I always find enjoyable in such series as Open All Hours and Cracker. She does a great job as a narrator in the documentary Windsor Castle: A Royal Year. A great documentary to check out. So there is still something redeeming and fun about the episode.

There are none. I am not sure what could be included as an extra so a lack of any does not bother me.
Quality:
This set came out as a DVD and Blu Ray set. I was sent the DVD and not the Blu Ray but I thought the set looked great. I watched this both on my HD set run through my Blu Ray player and some episodes I just watched on my SD TV through a DVD player. What impressed me was how crisp the picture looked going through my HD set. The colors were vivid and the picture was highly detailed. Probably because it was shot in HD to begin with helped out the downconvert to DVD. If the DVD looks this good, the Blu Ray must be quite nice. Of course the episodes are 16:9.

Each episode is in its own DVD slimline case and all 4 are housed in a larger box. The whole set is pretty compact and is a nice space saver. The covers match with the previous 20 sets of Barnaby (this time John) and his partner (this time Jones). I am one of those people who love continuity with long running releases so this appeals to strange people like me who must have all covers and packaging match. The menus are very simple and straight forward playing the distinctive theme music.
Even though it is a murder mystery series, it is very comfortable. To people who like edgier crime-like series, this is not it. Of course there is a place for them but I love Midsomer Murders because it has character. It�s beautiful with likable people and intriguing mysteries. If you have not seen the series before, you don�t need to start at the beginning as it is very easy to follow. Looking at the information Acorn sent to me about this release, apparently Series 14 has not been broadcast anywhere in the US as of writing this review. That would be reason enough for me to pick it up.
Disc breakdown:
Disc 1: Death in the Slow Lane
Disc 2: Dark Secrets
Disc 3: Echoes of the Dead
Disc 4: The Oblong Murders

This week: I look at some of the amazing series that made Gerry Anderson synonymous with Supermarionation. I pay tribute to Gerry Anderson and explain how Thunderbirds made such an impact on me in my adult life.
Have a great week!
Do you have feedback, article requests or want to talk about a program but do not want to leave a public comment? Feel free to drop me an e-mail at FTA13867@gmail.com
Do you have feedback, article requests or want to talk about a program but do not want to leave a public comment? Feel free to drop me an e-mail at FTA13867@gmail.com
I now have a regular column on DVDTalk called Brit-Streaming. Please check it out here: Brit-Streaming.
I am on Twitter: @FromtheArchive
Also please subscribe to my From the Archive: British Television Blog Facebook Page for updates about new articles.
download file now