DVD Review North South

Released by Acorn Media on July 2nd, 2013. SRP $39.99 (DVD)
SDH Subtitles: English 4:3 Mono
I need to applaud Acorn Media on digging into the BBC archives and pulling up this rarely seen production from 1975. This is the sort of historical drama that I would expect to see from that era. Now, that will mean different things to different people but to me this is a good thing. It�s sort of like I Claudiusin the way that it may not be everybody�s cup of tea but I personally love it. This is the second of three BBC productions based on this novel by Elizabeth Gaskell. The first one was produced in 1966 and sadly no longer exists in the BBC archives. The most recent one was broadcast in 2004. Like I said, this production was exactly what I expected for a 1975 BBC production.
This is based off of the 1855 novel from Elizabeth Gaskell. It focuses on Margaret Hale who had lived a great portion of her life living in London and brought up in the socialite scene. When we join the story, she is about to go back to where she was born, Helstone, to live with her family. For many of her friends in London, they had thought Margaret lived in London because of the ill-health of her mother but the truth is more to do with how her mother�s family thought she married below her social standing. Margaret cannot wait to get Helstone and start a new life. 





Although not an extra per se, I love the fact that Acorn retained the quick open titles for The BBC2 Serial. It�s a small thing but hugely gratifying. It could have easily been cut out but I really enjoyed it. Otherwise, there are no extras and quite frankly there is no need for any, in my opinion. I personally believe that when we are given a chance to see a production that lingered in the BBC archives for so long, I am fine to just enjoy the production. Though it might have been interesting to see them do a page of notes like they did for the Lillierelease.

This release includes some nomenclature that is familiar to anyone who has collected old British television series: �Due to the age of these programs and the improved resolution that DVD provides, you may notice occasional flaws in the image and audio on this DVD presentation that were beyond our ability to correct from the original materials.� This is an understatement and a curious one at that.
If you look through my site, you will know that I have reviewed many, many programs from the 1950s through 2000s. I do consider myself an expert at the way these programs were made and how they should look now. There appears to be a filmic look to all of the interior scenes that were in studio. In the 1970s, the BBC generally recorded these productions with all interior studio scenes shot on video while all exterior scenes are shot on 16mm film. It is a very distinctive looked utilized by both BBC and ITV productions but mainly was from the BBC. All the interior scenes look like a poor version of a film filter put over it. It destroys the charm of the production. There are certain hallmarks to know when something is shot in studio on videotape but has a film look to it. One of them is how flame looks and also how light reflects off of shiny objects. 

The DVDs are in a double Amary case with a simple yet handsome cover. It seems all Acorn Media discs now are silver with black printing. The full color DVD labels are apparently gone as I have gotten 3 titles to review and they are silver and black. Does this affect the value of the title? Not one bit but it is a nicety that appears to be gone now. On the menus, if you choose each episode individually, there is a title screen that gives a small synopsis of the episode. It is a nice touch.

Disc 1: Episode 1, Episode 2
Disc 2: Episode 3, Episode 4I don�t want anyone to leave this site without learning something. Elizabeth Gaskell who wrote North & South did not actually like the name to the book. She originally wanted to call it Margaret Hale. It was Charles Dickens who decided on the title. Dickens edited the book or at least the 20 weekly episodes from 1854 to 1855 in Household Words before being published as a full novel. He thought the title North & South covered more than just geographical locations of the North and South but also its capitalist manufacturers and poverty-stricken workers. This production interested me enough to do some research. It�s a fascinating period and this production is well worth the time to seek out and enjoy. It really does fire on all cylinders for me.

Have a great week!
Do you have feedback, article requests or want to talk about a program but do not want to leave a public comment? Feel free to drop me an e-mail at FTA13867@gmail.com
Do you have feedback, article requests or want to talk about a program but do not want to leave a public comment? Feel free to drop me an e-mail at FTA13867@gmail.com
I am on Twitter: @FromtheArchive
Also please subscribe to my From the Archive: British Television Blog Facebook Page for updates about new articles.
download file now