Skip to main content

Eat Static

Eat Static


Biography

Eat Static were formed in 1989 by Merv Pepler and Joie Hinton, then drummer and synth player respectively for the band Ozric Tentacles. They were joined by Steve Everitt, a library musician and occasional Ozric member. The band made a name for themselves on the Megadog/live techno scene of the early 90s, playing alongside the likes of Orbital, Underworld and Aphex Twin.

They were the first signings to Megadog-offshoot Planet Dog records, releasing their debut album Abduction in 1993. In 1994 Steve Everitt retired from the groups live performances, though he has continued to collaborate in the studio. Since then the band have played hundreds of gigs worldwide and become one the most respected and spectacular live dance acts around. They have been voted Best Dance Act in the NME, achieved a top twenty album, headlined the first dance tent at Glastonbury in 1995 and recorded two Peel sessions. Whilst essentially a sci-fi influenced, trance/techno outfit, they have also incorporated drum and bass, breakbeat, latin, garage and ambient styles into their sound at various stages. In the past few years the band have become heavily involved with the psy-trance scene, playing parties and festivals the world over and releasing numerous tracks on trance compilations.

Merv has also recently collaborated with the likes of Steve Jolliffe (Tangerine Dream), Will White (Propellerheads) and Simon Posford (Hallucinogen). In addition, Joie plays with Here & Now, Zubzub (with ex-Ozrics bassist Zia) and Dream Machine (alongside former Ozric flautist Jumping John). Both Joie and Merv also occasionally play live with Ozrics leader Ed Wynne under the guise of Nodens Ictus and have recently been playing with the Ozrics again. Eat Static released their long-awaited new album De-Classified through ..Solstice Music.. in July 2007. In February 2008 it was announced that Joie would be leaving the group in order to spend more time with his family. Now going it alone, Merv released a downtempo Eat Static album entitled Back to Earth in July 2008, followed by a string of festival appearances.

The next project will be the 20th Anniversary album plus a break-beat orientated album under the name Dendron (the follow up to 2003s Supernatural Jazz).Mesmobeat has also sprung back into life and Merv will be releasing a string of other peoples work,the first being Groovuscule with his album Theatre.. Watch this (my)space for more details as well as keeping an eye on www.mesmobeat.com..





Eat Static

download file now

Popular posts from this blog

DVD Review Midsomer Murders Tom Barnabys Last Cases

DVD Review Midsomer Murders Tom Barnabys Last Cases Midsomer Murders: Tom Barnaby�s Last Cases DVD 15-Discs (24 hours) Released by Acorn Media on March 26, 2013. SRP $149.99 (DVD) Subtitles: English SDH 16:9 �I�m going to have my cake and eat it.� I was reading my review I did last year for the DVD set Midsomer Murders: Mayhem & Mystery Files and I was thinking how strange it was to have a period of my life without having this series I could go back to again and again. When I wrote the first review for this series, I knew I was going to like it but I was really surprised by how much I liked it. That DVD set is one that I go back to often. Luckily I have a short-term memory so I am not always sure who the murderer was but I really enjoy the settings and main characters. Purchasing this title from the link above directly helps my site! When I was able to review this new set, Midsomer Murders: Tom Barnaby�s Last Cases , I was very happy because I was able to see more great episod...

DVD Review Three Classic Charles Dickens BBC Productions

DVD Review Three Classic Charles Dickens BBC Productions As a fan of British television, especially programs from the 1960s & 1970s, I have been keeping my eye on what Simply Media has been outputting especially over the last couple of years. I have seen programs such as Softly, Softly: Taskforce , Doomwatch , Hugh and I , and Dr. Finlay�s Casebook get a DVD release.  Pretty much all of the releases above, I would have never thought any of those would have received a release in a physical format. It�s great to be wrong about this sort of thing because Simply Media keeps putting out content that features some of the heyday of BBC production. Monday, July 03 sees the release of the first set of Charles Dickens classics all produced by the BBC. Three separate titles have been released for the first time on DVD and it has been a treat to watch these: Our Mutual Friend (1958), Great Expectations (1967) & Dombey And Son (1969). I guess what I am really pleased about with this ...

DVD Review The Ice Warriors

DVD Review The Ice Warriors Doctor Who: The Ice Warriors Special Edition 2-DVD Set   (Main Feature: 143 min) Released by BBC Home Entertainment on September 17, 2013. SRP $34.98 (DVD) Subtitles: English SDH 4:3 Mono black & white (Main Feature) For those who do not want to believe a large cache of missing Doctor Who episodes have been returned, we get another release that takes missing episodes and gives it new lease on life by being animated. This time we look at the very first story to feature that race from Mars known as the Ice Warriors. It supports a tremendous guest cast, generally looks really good and is considered an all-time classic from the famous Season 5 �Monster Season� of Doctor Who . This seems to have everything but yet I find that I have always been underwhelmed by the story. I go a long way back with The Ice Warriors . When I was younger and was into the whole video tape-trading culture, we were extremely happy when we heard the discovery of Episodes 1,4,5,6...