Skip to main content

Eddy Creek Karst

Eddy Creek Karst


Saturday 15th November 2014

Largest Cave
I have been going to do this walk for some time and decided that today would be a good day for it. For those who dont know, a karst is a limestone or dolomite region in which erosion has produced fissures, sinkholes, underground streams and caverns. This area around Eddy Creek is a dolomite area and there is currently a quarry where the dolomite is extracted. I had a list of locations of various caves, sinkholes and springs that I wanted to check out.
Road to the quarry
To reach the walk start I drove out on Weld Road and turned onto Eddy Road near Southwood Mill and then into Eric Pettits Road and parked just before the locked gate. It is more or less the same starting point as Fletchers Eddy. As there was about 4 kms. of road walking involved to reach the quarry access road, I rode my bike instead of walking which saved some time. It was quite easy riding and not too steep. After reaching the quarry road, I stashed the bike in the bush and began the short walk up the road. No doubt someone younger or fitter than I could have ridden to the quarry but I found it easier to walk.
Dolomite Quarry
It did not take long to reach the quarry, where there were great views of Glovers Bluff. I walked up the right hand side and then into the bush heading for my first point of interest, which was the largest sinkhole in the area. The trees that had been pushed over made it a little difficult but I was soon in clearer territory. The sink hole was just past the quarry boundary and was not very impressive - merely a small depression.
Largest sinkhole
I then carried on to a small cave and a spring and cave that seem to be joined underground and then to the largest cave around the area. It was quite deep and I had too be extremely careful near the edge. The walking was fairly easy with no scrub bashing involved but there were plenty of trees to clamber over, both large and small.
Largest cave from up the hill
From here I walked uphill to locate a couple of sinkholes, one of which I found and one I didnt and then onto another vertical cave to the northwest. When I found it I stopped for a snack before heading back down the dry creek bed to look for more features.
Vertical Cave
I found some more springs and another cave whilst walking down the creek and once I reached the last spring I headed uphill to come out at the quarry, thus completing a small loop. I then walked back to my bike and then headed down the road because I wanted to check out the access for a future walk to Bernard Spur. There was a tree across the road at the Eddy Creek crossing and this proved to be a good seat for lunch.
Lunch at Eddy Creek
I rode on up the road to the end which is near Bernard Spur. There were good views of Glovers Bluff along here and I also watched an echidna for quite some time. After finding out what I wanted to, I simply rode back to the car.
This was an enjoyable short walk through some nice bush and with some different points of interest.
Distance: 15.8 kms. Bike 9.1 kms. Walk 6.7 kms.
Time: 506"
Ascent: 490 metres
Click here to download GPX file.
Dolomite quarry

Dolomite quarry

Largest Cave

Bush

Spring flowing over dolomite

Glovers Bluff

Dolomite quarry

Dolomite

Echidna




download file now

Popular posts from this blog

DVD Review Midsomer Murders Tom Barnabys Last Cases

DVD Review Midsomer Murders Tom Barnabys Last Cases Midsomer Murders: Tom Barnaby�s Last Cases DVD 15-Discs (24 hours) Released by Acorn Media on March 26, 2013. SRP $149.99 (DVD) Subtitles: English SDH 16:9 �I�m going to have my cake and eat it.� I was reading my review I did last year for the DVD set Midsomer Murders: Mayhem & Mystery Files and I was thinking how strange it was to have a period of my life without having this series I could go back to again and again. When I wrote the first review for this series, I knew I was going to like it but I was really surprised by how much I liked it. That DVD set is one that I go back to often. Luckily I have a short-term memory so I am not always sure who the murderer was but I really enjoy the settings and main characters. Purchasing this title from the link above directly helps my site! When I was able to review this new set, Midsomer Murders: Tom Barnaby�s Last Cases , I was very happy because I was able to see more great episod...

DVD Review Three Classic Charles Dickens BBC Productions

DVD Review Three Classic Charles Dickens BBC Productions As a fan of British television, especially programs from the 1960s & 1970s, I have been keeping my eye on what Simply Media has been outputting especially over the last couple of years. I have seen programs such as Softly, Softly: Taskforce , Doomwatch , Hugh and I , and Dr. Finlay�s Casebook get a DVD release.  Pretty much all of the releases above, I would have never thought any of those would have received a release in a physical format. It�s great to be wrong about this sort of thing because Simply Media keeps putting out content that features some of the heyday of BBC production. Monday, July 03 sees the release of the first set of Charles Dickens classics all produced by the BBC. Three separate titles have been released for the first time on DVD and it has been a treat to watch these: Our Mutual Friend (1958), Great Expectations (1967) & Dombey And Son (1969). I guess what I am really pleased about with this ...

DVD Review The Ice Warriors

DVD Review The Ice Warriors Doctor Who: The Ice Warriors Special Edition 2-DVD Set   (Main Feature: 143 min) Released by BBC Home Entertainment on September 17, 2013. SRP $34.98 (DVD) Subtitles: English SDH 4:3 Mono black & white (Main Feature) For those who do not want to believe a large cache of missing Doctor Who episodes have been returned, we get another release that takes missing episodes and gives it new lease on life by being animated. This time we look at the very first story to feature that race from Mars known as the Ice Warriors. It supports a tremendous guest cast, generally looks really good and is considered an all-time classic from the famous Season 5 �Monster Season� of Doctor Who . This seems to have everything but yet I find that I have always been underwhelmed by the story. I go a long way back with The Ice Warriors . When I was younger and was into the whole video tape-trading culture, we were extremely happy when we heard the discovery of Episodes 1,4,5,6...