Skip to main content

Edwards Hand Rainshine 1971 uk marvelous smart soft rock 2015 issue

Edwards Hand Rainshine 1971 uk marvelous smart soft rock 2015 issue




Rainshine was recorded in April 1971 at AIR Studios under the aegis of George Martin. His vocal and orchestral arrangements were, of course, peerless, the rhythm section of Les Brown and Harry Reynolds knitted together seamlessly, while David Dowds guitar work provided the sympathetic, laid-back feel that was required.  Apart from the odd overdubbed line from the new Moog synthesizer, everything was performed live with an absolute minimum of overdubs, with Rod on piano and Roger on acoustic guitar. The duos harmonies were sumptuous, while the addition of Harry Reynolds, Aliki Ashman and Charlene to the vocal mix brought something new to the table. 

Most importantly of all, however, the new songs were superb. The likes of �Going Down, Race Against The Sun and Beam Me Aboard were mellow, radio-friendly soft rock creations, New York City Rain extended the earlier Simon & Garfunkel comparisons but added an understated country rock feel, while Lullaby and Just Friends� wore tender laments that reflected the influence of James Taylor during the early 1970s. If You Were Here and Pacific Coast Highway were drowsy, winsome ballads that anticipated the sound of America (who, of course, would also be produced by George Martin), while Let It Shine and Real Slow were arresting slices of post-Beatles psychedelic pop/rock.  With its strings arrangement and prominent female backing vocals, the epic Its My Time was a putative anthem, and the catchy Smile LA, Youre The Centre Of The World {complete with a sly reference to old sparring partner Al Stewarts song Electric Los Angeles Sunset) would surely have made a great single. Sadly, though, it wasnt to be. 

The album was completed in less than three weeks and duly dispatched to the American branch of RCA. Lcnnie Poncher was standing by to set up a US tour, secure in the knowledge that, whereas Rod and Roger had previously requested an orchestra, they were now a tight, self contained five-piece unit. Their future seemed rosy, but a hard rain was about to fall. RCA were extremely unhappy about the change in style from the hard rock approach of Stranded; they didnt hear a potential hit single, and refused to release the album. "When we gave them Stranded, we were concerned that they wouldnt like it as it was essentially a progressive rock album", recalls John Miller. "Instead they loved it. When it came to the next album, they wanted another prog rock set � but instead we gave them Raimhine. They were horrified. They told us that America had plenty of Simon & Garfunkel-style soft rock acts of their own, and that there was no market for an English band doing the same thing. Lennie Poncher unexpectedly announced his retirement, so we had nobody in our corner, and RCA turned down the LP. George (Martin) was really shocked - hed never had an album rejected before!"

It was a sad end to Edwards Hand, who, in Rogers words, "went out with a whimper". John Miller was already producing in his own right, and he suggested that they form a production company together, Triumvirate. This led to the three of them opening their own recording studio, Redan Recorders, and a new career as arrangers and record producers. Nevertheless, it should be mentioned that Rod and Roger did make one more album together: The Butterfly Ball And Jlie Grasshoppers Feast, released by the Argo label in 1975. This featured poems from Alan Aldridges illustrated book of the same title, with readings by Judi Dcnch and Michael Hordern, and music and vocals by Edwards Hand. However, it is the long-lost Rainshine that effectively constitutes the duos final work together: throughout their four albums that they recorded under the banners of either the Picadilly Line or Edwards Hand, Rod and Roger were always searching for their own style. They believe that, on Rainshine, they finally found it.
by David Wells, November 2014
With thanks to John Miller


Tracks
1. Pacific Coast Highway - 3:58
2. Going Down - 4:16
3. Let It Shine On Me - 5:23
4. If You Were Here - 3:05
5. Race Against The Sun - 4:34
6. New York City Rain - 3:33
7. Lullaby - 2:55
8. Real Slow - 3:11
9. Beam Me Aboard - 5:55
10.Smile LA, Youre The Centre Of The World - 3:46
11.Just Friends - Episodes, Being The Second Part - 4:35
12.Its My Time - 5:26
13.Slippin n Slidin - 2:30
14.Theyre Only Gonna Take My Life - 3:37
15.I Love You - 2:40
16.Early Days - 2:43
17.Turn Round Love - 3:56
18.Goodbye Gypsy Flyer - 3:17
19.Hard Road - 2:12
20.Sail Away - 3:09
21.All Long Gone - 3:53
22.Introduction - 0:46
All songs written by Rod Edward, Roger Hand
Bonus Tracks 13-22 recorded during the 1970s. Mostly they are demos, a couple were possible tracks for the Rainshine album.
They were recorded at AIR Studios, Morgan Studios and Redan, Recorders, and engineered by Bill Price, Robin Black, Johnnie Schinas and Roger Wake.

Edwards Hand
*Rod Edwards - Vocals, Keyboards
*Roger Hand - Vocals, Acoustic Guitar
With
*Les Brown Jr - Drums
*David Dowd - Guitars
*Clem Cattini - Drums
*Clive Bunker - Drums
*Ian Mosley - Drums
*Harry Reynolds - Bass
*John Wetton - Bass
*John G Perry - Bass
*James Litherland � Guitar
*Harry Reynolds, Aliki Ashman, Charlene, Shirlie Roden - Backing Vocals

Further Releases
1967  Picadilly Line - The Huge World Of Emily Small
1968  The Edwards Hand - Edwards Hand
1970  Edwards Hand - Stranded (Japan remaster edition)

Free Text
thr Free Text 

download file now

Popular posts from this blog

DVD Review Midsomer Murders Tom Barnabys Last Cases

DVD Review Midsomer Murders Tom Barnabys Last Cases Midsomer Murders: Tom Barnaby�s Last Cases DVD 15-Discs (24 hours) Released by Acorn Media on March 26, 2013. SRP $149.99 (DVD) Subtitles: English SDH 16:9 �I�m going to have my cake and eat it.� I was reading my review I did last year for the DVD set Midsomer Murders: Mayhem & Mystery Files and I was thinking how strange it was to have a period of my life without having this series I could go back to again and again. When I wrote the first review for this series, I knew I was going to like it but I was really surprised by how much I liked it. That DVD set is one that I go back to often. Luckily I have a short-term memory so I am not always sure who the murderer was but I really enjoy the settings and main characters. Purchasing this title from the link above directly helps my site! When I was able to review this new set, Midsomer Murders: Tom Barnaby�s Last Cases , I was very happy because I was able to see more great episod...

DVD Review Three Classic Charles Dickens BBC Productions

DVD Review Three Classic Charles Dickens BBC Productions As a fan of British television, especially programs from the 1960s & 1970s, I have been keeping my eye on what Simply Media has been outputting especially over the last couple of years. I have seen programs such as Softly, Softly: Taskforce , Doomwatch , Hugh and I , and Dr. Finlay�s Casebook get a DVD release.  Pretty much all of the releases above, I would have never thought any of those would have received a release in a physical format. It�s great to be wrong about this sort of thing because Simply Media keeps putting out content that features some of the heyday of BBC production. Monday, July 03 sees the release of the first set of Charles Dickens classics all produced by the BBC. Three separate titles have been released for the first time on DVD and it has been a treat to watch these: Our Mutual Friend (1958), Great Expectations (1967) & Dombey And Son (1969). I guess what I am really pleased about with this ...

DVD Review The Ice Warriors

DVD Review The Ice Warriors Doctor Who: The Ice Warriors Special Edition 2-DVD Set   (Main Feature: 143 min) Released by BBC Home Entertainment on September 17, 2013. SRP $34.98 (DVD) Subtitles: English SDH 4:3 Mono black & white (Main Feature) For those who do not want to believe a large cache of missing Doctor Who episodes have been returned, we get another release that takes missing episodes and gives it new lease on life by being animated. This time we look at the very first story to feature that race from Mars known as the Ice Warriors. It supports a tremendous guest cast, generally looks really good and is considered an all-time classic from the famous Season 5 �Monster Season� of Doctor Who . This seems to have everything but yet I find that I have always been underwhelmed by the story. I go a long way back with The Ice Warriors . When I was younger and was into the whole video tape-trading culture, we were extremely happy when we heard the discovery of Episodes 1,4,5,6...