Skip to main content

ELEANOR ROOSEVELT OUR HUMAN RIGHTS

ELEANOR ROOSEVELT OUR HUMAN RIGHTS


"the destiny of human rights is in the hands of all our citizens in all our communities."... Eleanor Roosevelt

Eleanor Roosevelt was already a member of the U.N.s commission on Human Rights when the delegates voted her in as Chairperson. On December 10, 1948, after three years and thousands of hours of debates among the members, the men and women of the 46 nations of the U.N.s General Assembly adopted The Universal Declaration For Human Rights.
Thirty Articles were assembled in the declaration to bring attention to the basic rights and freedoms of every human being in every country on our planet to promote dignity, fairness, peace, justice and equality.

Many attempts have been made to bring about a universal adherence to basic human rights as far back as our Early civilization. An eyeopening timeline has been created to display the ongoing struggle for human rights that includes The Magna Carta, U.S. Declaration of Independence and the Emancipation proclamation.

Since the 50th anniversary of the Declaration in 1997, efforts have been stepped up to emphasize the importance of these 30 articles and to create awareness as most people, including myself, never knew they existed. In countries where basic freedoms and rights are completely ignored, victims of oppression are suddenly given a chance to connect with support groups when made aware of the declaration.

I was shooting my documentary in Nova Scotia when I got a call to go to the U.N. in New York and document the Youth For Human Rights International Conference. This was four days that has changed my life, humbled me and given it a huge boost in purpose and meaning.




download file now

Popular posts from this blog

DVD Review Midsomer Murders Tom Barnabys Last Cases

DVD Review Midsomer Murders Tom Barnabys Last Cases Midsomer Murders: Tom Barnaby�s Last Cases DVD 15-Discs (24 hours) Released by Acorn Media on March 26, 2013. SRP $149.99 (DVD) Subtitles: English SDH 16:9 �I�m going to have my cake and eat it.� I was reading my review I did last year for the DVD set Midsomer Murders: Mayhem & Mystery Files and I was thinking how strange it was to have a period of my life without having this series I could go back to again and again. When I wrote the first review for this series, I knew I was going to like it but I was really surprised by how much I liked it. That DVD set is one that I go back to often. Luckily I have a short-term memory so I am not always sure who the murderer was but I really enjoy the settings and main characters. Purchasing this title from the link above directly helps my site! When I was able to review this new set, Midsomer Murders: Tom Barnaby�s Last Cases , I was very happy because I was able to see more great episod...

DVD Review Three Classic Charles Dickens BBC Productions

DVD Review Three Classic Charles Dickens BBC Productions As a fan of British television, especially programs from the 1960s & 1970s, I have been keeping my eye on what Simply Media has been outputting especially over the last couple of years. I have seen programs such as Softly, Softly: Taskforce , Doomwatch , Hugh and I , and Dr. Finlay�s Casebook get a DVD release.  Pretty much all of the releases above, I would have never thought any of those would have received a release in a physical format. It�s great to be wrong about this sort of thing because Simply Media keeps putting out content that features some of the heyday of BBC production. Monday, July 03 sees the release of the first set of Charles Dickens classics all produced by the BBC. Three separate titles have been released for the first time on DVD and it has been a treat to watch these: Our Mutual Friend (1958), Great Expectations (1967) & Dombey And Son (1969). I guess what I am really pleased about with this ...

DVD Review The Ice Warriors

DVD Review The Ice Warriors Doctor Who: The Ice Warriors Special Edition 2-DVD Set   (Main Feature: 143 min) Released by BBC Home Entertainment on September 17, 2013. SRP $34.98 (DVD) Subtitles: English SDH 4:3 Mono black & white (Main Feature) For those who do not want to believe a large cache of missing Doctor Who episodes have been returned, we get another release that takes missing episodes and gives it new lease on life by being animated. This time we look at the very first story to feature that race from Mars known as the Ice Warriors. It supports a tremendous guest cast, generally looks really good and is considered an all-time classic from the famous Season 5 �Monster Season� of Doctor Who . This seems to have everything but yet I find that I have always been underwhelmed by the story. I go a long way back with The Ice Warriors . When I was younger and was into the whole video tape-trading culture, we were extremely happy when we heard the discovery of Episodes 1,4,5,6...