Skip to main content

Elgato Game Capture HD60 Review

Elgato Game Capture HD60 Review


This review for Elgato Game Capture is the best review that you can get.  This review was originally done back in July 2012 (same goes for the video). Elgato have over the years been improving upon improving the softwares features and usability even more than what was originally a top game capturing software.


Elgato Game Capture HD60 Review



There are now two device options to choose from:


Elgato Game Capture HD: The first model which is what my review is based on. This model supports devices via its HDMI & A/V inputs. This one is more suited for the last generation of consoles and prior such as the PlayStation 3 & Xbox 360. You can only record up to 30fps with this device.


Elgato Game Capture HD60: Featuring just HDMI inputs, this is made for the newer generation of consoles such as the PlayStation 4 & Xbox One... Well basically anything that supports HDMI. This newer version can also record up to 1080p 60fps!


Below you will find my original review for the Elgato Game Capture HD, followed by any updates Ive made thereafter. Its a long review, however I hope it will help you make the right decision based on your needs.



 Introduction

When it comes to capturing gameplay from your consoles, you want as good quality as you can get so you can show your friends or the world those amazing moments in detail.


The problem is there are so many different game captures to choose from these days such as Roxio, AverMedia, Hauppauge +more, that it can be a daunting task to choose the right one.


Whilst I cant comment on the others being bad or good due to the fact I havent personally tried them myself, I can safely say that Elgato Game Capture HD offers simple connectivity, ease of use and very high quality.


Box Contents & System Requirements

So whats in the box?

Game Capture Device | AV Cable (PS3) | Unencrypted HDMI Cable (Xbox or use as pass-through) | Component Cable | Mini USB - USB cable.


Minimum system requirements:

Mac: Mac OS X 10.7, 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo CPU.

PC: Windows 7, 2.0 GHz dual core CPU.

Sound card | 4 GB RAM | Built-in USB 2.0 port | You will also need an internet connection to download the software from Elgatos official website as there is no software disk included.


Set-Up


Setting everything up was extremely simple:

Download the game captures software.

Connect your console to the Game Capture HD using the appropriate cable:

PS3: You need to use the AV cable rather than HDMI cable, this is because the PS3s HDMI port is encrypted (You can still get 1080i quality).


Xbox: Use the HDMI cable provided.

Link the Game Capture HD and HDTV together via HDMI cable.

Insert the USB cable included to both your computer and Game Capture HD.

Load up the software.

Turn on your console.



IMPORTANT PS3 Information: PS3 users will need to go to their PS3 "Settings" - "Display Settings" - "Video Output Settings" - "Components / D-Terminal" - When selecting resolution, make sure "1080p" is NOT selected, only go up to "1080i".


The PS3 auto-detects when an HDMI cable is used, but it doesnt auto-detects the AV input. The way I got around this was hooking the PS3 up directly to the TV (whilst AV cables were also connected to the game capture), I then went to the display settings and clicked on "Component / D-Terminal", once selected I had quickly removed the HDMI from the PS3 and connected it to the Game Capture HD, this solved the problem and took only 30 seconds for me to do.


If there is no picture displayed on the game capture software, go to the Game Capture HD Settings which can be located within the "Device" box under the "Capture" tab. The setting button is to the right-hand side and looks like a hammer and spanner crossed over. It is important to have the "Input Device" on the right settings, after selecting the right option; you should have your gaming consoles screen displayed on the software. *Note*; the software has a few seconds delay on game footage, so use your TV to play games.
Tweak other settings if necessary, then you�re done!


Set-up took barely 5 minutes overall, I was very pleased with how easy it was to set-up. :)


Software / Use

The computer specs I used whilst using the Game Capture HD software were:

Windows 7 64-bit Operating System | Intel i7 960 3.2 GHz Processor | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 Graphics Card | 12GB RAM.

First of all, the installation process was errors free (always a good start), the program loads up promptly and so far I have yet to see it crash.


The layout is basic in a good way and is very easy to navigate; you have simple settings to choose from such as where you would like the gameplay recordings to be saved, the quality of the video files (which will impact the file size) and adjustments in the picture output.

As for recording gameplay, couldnt be any simpler, just press the big red button to start the recording process and press it again to stop.


To the right of the record button you have a "time-shift" bar; this is probably the best feature I have ever seen. Lets say you decided to stop recording because the game your playing is not going in your favor, then out of the blue you do the most epic thing you have every done in gaming history, which of course could not be re-created even with the highest bit of luck... well dont despair, the software keeps an ongoing backup for a certain period of time, which by using the "time-shift", you can go back in time to record that epic moment.


There is also an edit tab available, however it is very basic. Tools available are trim & delete, it basically lets you keep the good parts and throw the bad out. For those wanting that extra editing experience, I would suggest something like Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 11 (other softwares available).



The final part of the edit section is a quick share where you can click on lets say "You Tube", then all you have to do is type in your account details and it uploads the video for you.



Overall Opinion

Overall I think this is a completely solid package, and whilst it may seem a tad expensive, I do feel you get your monies worth and would highly recommend!


Review Update

Since the review had initially been published, there have been several significant updates for the software:

1) Now supports 1080p.

2) Live Commentary: This is my most favorite update for the software, it lets you capture your voice by using a microphone thats connected to your computer, results are fantastic and I use it all the time.

To use, you have to enable the microphone icon and then select the microphone from the "Audio In", there is also an option which when checked, reduces the game volume as when your talking through the microphone which delivers a fantastic balance between game & microphone audio.

When you decide to stop recording using this feature, as you would before, give it 5-10 seconds after you have finished your gaming before you click to stop recording, this will ensure nothing is cut off.

3) Stream live gameplay onto websites such as Twitch.

4) You can now record from your standard definition retro gaming consoles.

5) Now confirmed it works with Nintendo Wii U via HDMI!

6) Xbox One Console will work with the Elgato.

7) Sony PlayStation 4 (PS4) is now supported, youll just have to make sure the HDCP is disabled within the PS4 settings.


Current software available is Version 2.0.


Elgato Game Capture HD -VS- Hauppauge HD PVR 2 GE+

After recently having the chance to use the HD PVR 2 GE+, I have decided to do a mini comparison below:


(+ Positive | / Neutral | - Negative).



Elgato:

+ Sleek looking, very lightweight and portable.

+ Simple and clean looking software.

+ Time-shift mode (allows you to go back in-time to record the footage youve missed).

+ Advanced microphone features (Game audio dimming when talking).

+ No power adapter needed.

Cables arent too long (Great for people who love less clutter, not good for people who have their devices further away).



Requires much higher computer specs to use on your computer:
Windows 7, Windows 8 or later | 2.0 GHz (or higher) dual core CPU, or 2.0 GHz (or higher) multi-core i3, i5 or i7 CPU | Sound card | 4GB Total Installed RAM (or higher) | Built-in USB 2.0 port.



? Hauppauge:

+ PVR 2 In my opinion looks cooler, especially when the LED lights up.

+ Instant record button on the PVR 2.

+ 5.1 surround sound support via optical cable.

+Comes with additional editing software where you can add text and effects.
+ Not too demanding on computer specs: Windows 7 (32 or 64-bit), Windows Vista or Windows XP Service Pack 3 | PC with 3.0 GHz single core or 2.0 GHz multi-core processor | 512 MB RAM (1 GB recommended) | Graphics card with 256 MB memory | Sound card | USB 2.0 Port.


/ Cables are long (This for me is EXTREMELY handy for my recent set-up, but some could see this as a nuisance).



Requires the use of a power adapter.

Both:

+ They are both normally available with a similar price-tag.

+ Easy to set-up.

+ Software is simple to navigate.

+ Commentary features.


Requires computer to be turned on to pass-through to TV.


Picking one over the other is a very hard choice because they both have their positives and both output top quality.


To date... I much prefer the Elgato software mainly down due to the advanced mic & time-shift features, but when it comes to practicality for my needs, the PVR2GE+ wins with its longer cables, one-push record and is less resource heavy on my computer.


Product Link
Elgato Game Capture HD60 Review

Hover or Click your mouse over the image
to see product previews

Elgato Game Capture HD60 Review


Hover or Click your mouse over the image
to see product previews


Both are very good contenders in the Game Capture market and both deserve 5 stars, I would recommend either one so it entirely depends on which suite your needs the most.


download file now

Popular posts from this blog

DVD Review Midsomer Murders Tom Barnabys Last Cases

DVD Review Midsomer Murders Tom Barnabys Last Cases Midsomer Murders: Tom Barnaby�s Last Cases DVD 15-Discs (24 hours) Released by Acorn Media on March 26, 2013. SRP $149.99 (DVD) Subtitles: English SDH 16:9 �I�m going to have my cake and eat it.� I was reading my review I did last year for the DVD set Midsomer Murders: Mayhem & Mystery Files and I was thinking how strange it was to have a period of my life without having this series I could go back to again and again. When I wrote the first review for this series, I knew I was going to like it but I was really surprised by how much I liked it. That DVD set is one that I go back to often. Luckily I have a short-term memory so I am not always sure who the murderer was but I really enjoy the settings and main characters. Purchasing this title from the link above directly helps my site! When I was able to review this new set, Midsomer Murders: Tom Barnaby�s Last Cases , I was very happy because I was able to see more great episod...

DVD Review Three Classic Charles Dickens BBC Productions

DVD Review Three Classic Charles Dickens BBC Productions As a fan of British television, especially programs from the 1960s & 1970s, I have been keeping my eye on what Simply Media has been outputting especially over the last couple of years. I have seen programs such as Softly, Softly: Taskforce , Doomwatch , Hugh and I , and Dr. Finlay�s Casebook get a DVD release.  Pretty much all of the releases above, I would have never thought any of those would have received a release in a physical format. It�s great to be wrong about this sort of thing because Simply Media keeps putting out content that features some of the heyday of BBC production. Monday, July 03 sees the release of the first set of Charles Dickens classics all produced by the BBC. Three separate titles have been released for the first time on DVD and it has been a treat to watch these: Our Mutual Friend (1958), Great Expectations (1967) & Dombey And Son (1969). I guess what I am really pleased about with this ...

DVD Review The Ice Warriors

DVD Review The Ice Warriors Doctor Who: The Ice Warriors Special Edition 2-DVD Set   (Main Feature: 143 min) Released by BBC Home Entertainment on September 17, 2013. SRP $34.98 (DVD) Subtitles: English SDH 4:3 Mono black & white (Main Feature) For those who do not want to believe a large cache of missing Doctor Who episodes have been returned, we get another release that takes missing episodes and gives it new lease on life by being animated. This time we look at the very first story to feature that race from Mars known as the Ice Warriors. It supports a tremendous guest cast, generally looks really good and is considered an all-time classic from the famous Season 5 �Monster Season� of Doctor Who . This seems to have everything but yet I find that I have always been underwhelmed by the story. I go a long way back with The Ice Warriors . When I was younger and was into the whole video tape-trading culture, we were extremely happy when we heard the discovery of Episodes 1,4,5,6...