I could have called this walk a few different names but settled on Eliza Point as it is approximately half way along. Other places visited included Big Lagoon Beach, Little Lagoon Beach and Black Swan Lagoon, all of which are special in their own right. The walk starts in South Cape Spur 1 and after turning off the main road into this, drive for 3 kms. and park at the locked gate. I set off a bit after 0800 and walked down the usual track to Big Lagoon Beach. The track was quite dry which made walking very easy. Anywhere in this area is best walked in the dry because once the winter rains start, it becomes somewhat of a quagmire with water and mud that has to be negotiated.
Button Grass Plains
Remains of an old bridge
An example of the track
Once I arrived at Big Lagoon Beach, I headed south along the coastline towards Eliza Point. I had not been this way before and was not sure what to expect. I knew there would be plenty of rock hopping, but how hard or easy it would be, I did not know. As it turned out it was quite easy with the rocks varying in size from pebbles to boulders.
Big Lagoon Beach looking North
Big Lagoon Beach looking South
Heading South
Nice little beach heading South
I actually reached Eliza Point much sooner than expected. If you dont like rock hopping then I would avoid this walk as there is 2.0 kms. of it along the coastline, but as I have already mentioned, it is quite easy.
Heading South
Looking back to Big Lagoon Beach
Heading South
Heading South
Little Bay at Eliza Point
Once I reached Eliza Point I headed inland on an old track and then veered off down to the point just south of Eliza Point where I had a little break.
Looking towards Fishers Point and Cockle Creek
Looking towards Fishers Point and Cockle Creek
Looking North at rest stop
I then walked back to the track and along it down to Little Lagoon Beach.
Little Lagoon Beach
Little Lagoon Beach
Little Lagoon Beach
Little Lagoon Beach
Looking towards Fishers Point
After walking almost to the end of Little Lagoon Beach, I exited to the old track and up another old track to hopefully get a view of Black Swan Lagoon. I did get views of the Lagoon and it is very easy to see where it got its name. It was teeming with black swans all making a whole lot of noise.
Black Swan Lagoon
Black Swan Lagoon
Black Swan Lagoon and peaks to the West
Fishers Point, Sullivan Point and Black Swan Lagoon
An example of track heading back
I just kept walking back along the track to the car. There is a section of about 1.0 km. in length and down towards the car which is being gradually overtaken with cutting grass on this track. It makes route finding a little difficult in places and some scrub bashing is required. Other than that this is a great little walk visiting a couple of pristine beaches where I saw no other footprints. Distance: 14.1 kms. Time: 420 Ascent: 225 metres Click here to download GPX file.
DVD Review Three Classic Charles Dickens BBC Productions As a fan of British television, especially programs from the 1960s & 1970s, I have been keeping my eye on what Simply Media has been outputting especially over the last couple of years. I have seen programs such as Softly, Softly: Taskforce , Doomwatch , Hugh and I , and Dr. Finlay�s Casebook get a DVD release. Pretty much all of the releases above, I would have never thought any of those would have received a release in a physical format. It�s great to be wrong about this sort of thing because Simply Media keeps putting out content that features some of the heyday of BBC production. Monday, July 03 sees the release of the first set of Charles Dickens classics all produced by the BBC. Three separate titles have been released for the first time on DVD and it has been a treat to watch these: Our Mutual Friend (1958), Great Expectations (1967) & Dombey And Son (1969). I guess what I am really pleased about with this ...
DVD Review Midsomer Murders Tom Barnabys Last Cases Midsomer Murders: Tom Barnaby�s Last Cases DVD 15-Discs (24 hours) Released by Acorn Media on March 26, 2013. SRP $149.99 (DVD) Subtitles: English SDH 16:9 �I�m going to have my cake and eat it.� I was reading my review I did last year for the DVD set Midsomer Murders: Mayhem & Mystery Files and I was thinking how strange it was to have a period of my life without having this series I could go back to again and again. When I wrote the first review for this series, I knew I was going to like it but I was really surprised by how much I liked it. That DVD set is one that I go back to often. Luckily I have a short-term memory so I am not always sure who the murderer was but I really enjoy the settings and main characters. Purchasing this title from the link above directly helps my site! When I was able to review this new set, Midsomer Murders: Tom Barnaby�s Last Cases , I was very happy because I was able to see more great episod...
DVD Review The Ice Warriors Doctor Who: The Ice Warriors Special Edition 2-DVD Set (Main Feature: 143 min) Released by BBC Home Entertainment on September 17, 2013. SRP $34.98 (DVD) Subtitles: English SDH 4:3 Mono black & white (Main Feature) For those who do not want to believe a large cache of missing Doctor Who episodes have been returned, we get another release that takes missing episodes and gives it new lease on life by being animated. This time we look at the very first story to feature that race from Mars known as the Ice Warriors. It supports a tremendous guest cast, generally looks really good and is considered an all-time classic from the famous Season 5 �Monster Season� of Doctor Who . This seems to have everything but yet I find that I have always been underwhelmed by the story. I go a long way back with The Ice Warriors . When I was younger and was into the whole video tape-trading culture, we were extremely happy when we heard the discovery of Episodes 1,4,5,6...