Skip to main content

Emotionally Amputated

Emotionally Amputated


Im not going share this entry on Facebook or Google+, because I dont want it to look like Im trying to milk the subject for clicks, because right now it seems like everyone has something to say about it.

I had to write a little news article about how Blizzard are going to pay tribute to the late Robin Williams by including him as an NPC in World of Warcraft. The first thing that annoys me is the ever-repeating wave of wisecracks bringing up that same old argument: thousands of people die every day and now were all acting sad and depressed, just because some celebrity died. And theres only one thing I have to say to you guys. Fuck you.

Just because you dont personally know someone, just because they werent friends or family and you didnt hang out doesnt mean you cant be sad when they die. Many people grew up watching his movies, enjoying his standup comedy and just like some of you get overly attached to ancient 8bit gaming systems or Saturday morning cartoon shows, others get attached to certain films, actors and the characters they played. Some draw inspiration from them or find their role-model. I wasnt a huge fan of Robin Williams, myself, but it pisses me off when people want to dictate what one should or shouldnt feel sad about. Just shut up.

What annoys me even more are people, who argue whether or not depression is a "real disease" and call Williams a selfish coward for ending his life. Depression is the darkest, most soul-crushing form of loneliness. Imagine seeing your firstborn child for the first time, hearing their first words, watching them make their first steps and you feel absolutely nothing. You know youre supposed to feel something, there is this magical bond everybody talks to you about, you know there should be something, but youre completely detached and watch the whole thing like a neutral bystander. If anything, there is despair, because you know there is something wrong and everybody around you expects you to feel something, so you pretend to make everybody happy.

Imagine your father dies, suddenly, unexpectedly and without warning and week after week youre waiting to cry, youre waiting to grieve and there is simply nothing. After youve already felt nothing when both your grandparents died a few months earlier. Everyone around you at the funeral cries, everyone is sad and heartbroken. And you try to fit in. Be normal, even though you know youre not and theres something wrong with you.

My friends, readers, fans, people I work with, nobody has ever met me face to face. I get dozens of people asking to meet me at events like Gamescom right now, role-playing conventions, people want to come over and meet me here in the UK and I always ignore them. I dont want them to see me. I dont want them to meet the real me. My blog, my columns and articles, everything I do online makes people laugh. When I have to meet with neighbours and family I make them laugh. Im good at that. Its a persona. It creates a safe distance and distracts from the real me.

As a child, I had to deal with more abuse, alcoholism, violence and other bullshit than I want to bore you with. I tried to talk about these things with my father a few years back, just before I left the country and moved to the UK. He felt like I was attacking him. Told me its ancient history and I should get over it already. But thats not how it works. You dont just "get over it", without ever being able to talk to the one person, who was responsible for all the drama and pain. Nobody cared, nobody listened and I didnt matter at all. Wouldnt have made any difference had I not existed at all.

You dont want to know what its like to just exist from one day to the next, having absolutely no reason to get up in the morning. For the most part, I didnt feel "sad" on the bad days. I just felt nothing. I didnt care. About myself. About life. Swallowed a whole box of pills once to see if Id stop waking up altogether. Its hard to describe. It just felt more interesting than life, if that makes any sense.

My partner loves me and cares about me today. Im building a decent relationship with my son. Im looking after our ever-growing collection of pets. I have the one job I always dreamed about as a kid. In a way, everything turned out okay for me in the end and Im glad those pills just severely fucked me up and didnt kill me. I enjoy life and Im happy with things the way they are, though Im still far from normal.

I dont miss my family back in Germany. Everyone was happy to see me at the funeral, but I didnt stay in touch and it doesnt feel like it matters. Im still not crying over the loss of my father or my grandparents. And Im still pretending.
Im not suicidal. Im not sad. Ive learned to deal with the whole thing my own way and Im leading a reasonably normal life. But that shit doesnt just go away over night.

-Cat

download file now

Popular posts from this blog

DVD Review Midsomer Murders Tom Barnabys Last Cases

DVD Review Midsomer Murders Tom Barnabys Last Cases Midsomer Murders: Tom Barnaby�s Last Cases DVD 15-Discs (24 hours) Released by Acorn Media on March 26, 2013. SRP $149.99 (DVD) Subtitles: English SDH 16:9 �I�m going to have my cake and eat it.� I was reading my review I did last year for the DVD set Midsomer Murders: Mayhem & Mystery Files and I was thinking how strange it was to have a period of my life without having this series I could go back to again and again. When I wrote the first review for this series, I knew I was going to like it but I was really surprised by how much I liked it. That DVD set is one that I go back to often. Luckily I have a short-term memory so I am not always sure who the murderer was but I really enjoy the settings and main characters. Purchasing this title from the link above directly helps my site! When I was able to review this new set, Midsomer Murders: Tom Barnaby�s Last Cases , I was very happy because I was able to see more great episod...

DVD Review Three Classic Charles Dickens BBC Productions

DVD Review Three Classic Charles Dickens BBC Productions As a fan of British television, especially programs from the 1960s & 1970s, I have been keeping my eye on what Simply Media has been outputting especially over the last couple of years. I have seen programs such as Softly, Softly: Taskforce , Doomwatch , Hugh and I , and Dr. Finlay�s Casebook get a DVD release.  Pretty much all of the releases above, I would have never thought any of those would have received a release in a physical format. It�s great to be wrong about this sort of thing because Simply Media keeps putting out content that features some of the heyday of BBC production. Monday, July 03 sees the release of the first set of Charles Dickens classics all produced by the BBC. Three separate titles have been released for the first time on DVD and it has been a treat to watch these: Our Mutual Friend (1958), Great Expectations (1967) & Dombey And Son (1969). I guess what I am really pleased about with this ...

DVD Review The Ice Warriors

DVD Review The Ice Warriors Doctor Who: The Ice Warriors Special Edition 2-DVD Set   (Main Feature: 143 min) Released by BBC Home Entertainment on September 17, 2013. SRP $34.98 (DVD) Subtitles: English SDH 4:3 Mono black & white (Main Feature) For those who do not want to believe a large cache of missing Doctor Who episodes have been returned, we get another release that takes missing episodes and gives it new lease on life by being animated. This time we look at the very first story to feature that race from Mars known as the Ice Warriors. It supports a tremendous guest cast, generally looks really good and is considered an all-time classic from the famous Season 5 �Monster Season� of Doctor Who . This seems to have everything but yet I find that I have always been underwhelmed by the story. I go a long way back with The Ice Warriors . When I was younger and was into the whole video tape-trading culture, we were extremely happy when we heard the discovery of Episodes 1,4,5,6...