Skip to main content

EQ2 Terrors of Thalumbra is the best worst expansion ever

EQ2 Terrors of Thalumbra is the best worst expansion ever



When SOE Daybreak announyed that thered be no more expansions for Everquest 2, lots of people feared it would go the way of Vanguard: Saga of Heroes and Free Realms. But as people were starting to look for new virtual homes one one of the many other MMORPGs out there, Daybreak suddenly made a surprise announcement - there would be another expansion after all: Terrors of Thalumbra.

Sounded too good to be true, which is exactly what it was. With price tags ranging from 35 Dollars (standard edition) all the way up to 140 Dollars (premium edition), youd expect a pretty juicy content infusion. Instead, you get a new signature questine, which can be completed in about three hours, a ton of generic side quests (kill this, loot that), new "prestige" items, which can only be equipped while you have a running subscription and an ugly brown zone with a dull and generic storyline, full of dull and generic characters. Look, youve already sent me to the afterlife and dragon heaven, had me join the armies of good and evil in an attempt to save the world in a massive showdown, so throwing me into some generic steampunk cave full of gnomes... sorry, "gnemlins", isnt gonna get me super hyped.

There is nothing epic about Terrors of Thalumbra and compared to some of the most exciting things you could see and do in previous expansions, Thalumbra looks and feels like early mid-level content at best. And this is the new "end game". It offers more or less the same amount of stuff youd get in a free content update from more popular, successful MMOs, but with maximum padding. Heres a city, but you cannot interact with any of the NPCs without grinding a ton of reputation. Heres an instanced dungeon, which uses the exact same map as the city, except all the NPCs were replaced by monsters. Heres another dungeon, which uses the fucking city map AGAIN!

Whats worse, the game no longer explains shit. Previous expansions finally gave you map markers and a general idea where you should go. They removed that sort of thing from Thalumbra, because apparently it adds to the "immersion". I have spent an hour down in a seemingly cleared dungeon, only to find some tiny, random bowl of water sitting in the corner of a room. You can pick it up, but you cannot use it, the item description tells you nothing about it. Turns out you have to bring the bowl to a dog at the other end of the dungeon to stop him from kicking you out of an elevator. Meanwhile, the quest log states: "Observe the activity of [generic bad guy faction]."

Look, I dont need a game to hold my hand every step of the fucking way. But this shit is just lazy. Speaking of lazy - EQ2 lets you study the anatomy of certain enemies (e.g. orcs, gnolls and the like), so you could use a powerful master strike against them. Studying them also rewards you with a book and a decorative item for your house. The new expansion gets rid of that by introducing trinkets, which allow you to use the master strike against everything. Not only does that make 100 levels of anatomy research entirely worthless, but it also means they wont have to add any more of those quests in the future. Lazy bastards!

The expansion introduced one redeeming new feature, however, which makes all of the laziness and the ridiculous price tag a little more forgivable: The infusion system. Infusable items can be upgraded to absolutely ridiculous power levels, meaning raiders and casual players are now on an equal power level. And this is something many other MMOs should do. Reserving the coolest, strongest, most interesting items for the low percentage of players, who have the time and the willpower to treat an online game like a second job is stupid. This shit needs to stop. A raid is its own reward.

The way EQ2 works right now is brilliant. You can play solo or group dungeons, join a raid, temporarily lower your level to enjoy some old content you may have skipped before, do whatever you want to do and keep getting stronger while youre at it. Youll earn enough ingame currency and resources to keep upgrading your stuff for a while. The system doesnt come without its flaws, however. The fastest way to upgrade stuff via infusion is by spending ingame currency. And you can make a ton of currency simply by buying subscription tokens for real money and selling them on the broker (read: auction house). You can turn real money into stats for your character.

It would make a lot more sense to award infusion points for simply playing the game, completing dungeons and quests, taking part in events and activities, rather than allowing players to throw money at the screen to make their characters grow in strength. But at the end of the day, this is Everquest 2 were talking about, theyre desperate for money and theyll do whatever it takes to seperate you from your cash. To be fair, infusable gear is incredibly powerful even without sinking mountains of currency into them and the first bunch of infusions is affordable with whatever gold youll take home from your daily dungeons. But the wealthiest players will always be the most powerful ones. Im not sure if this is any better than dividing the community into raiders and filthy casuals.

-Cat

download file now

Popular posts from this blog

DVD Review Midsomer Murders Tom Barnabys Last Cases

DVD Review Midsomer Murders Tom Barnabys Last Cases Midsomer Murders: Tom Barnaby�s Last Cases DVD 15-Discs (24 hours) Released by Acorn Media on March 26, 2013. SRP $149.99 (DVD) Subtitles: English SDH 16:9 �I�m going to have my cake and eat it.� I was reading my review I did last year for the DVD set Midsomer Murders: Mayhem & Mystery Files and I was thinking how strange it was to have a period of my life without having this series I could go back to again and again. When I wrote the first review for this series, I knew I was going to like it but I was really surprised by how much I liked it. That DVD set is one that I go back to often. Luckily I have a short-term memory so I am not always sure who the murderer was but I really enjoy the settings and main characters. Purchasing this title from the link above directly helps my site! When I was able to review this new set, Midsomer Murders: Tom Barnaby�s Last Cases , I was very happy because I was able to see more great episod...

DVD Review Three Classic Charles Dickens BBC Productions

DVD Review Three Classic Charles Dickens BBC Productions As a fan of British television, especially programs from the 1960s & 1970s, I have been keeping my eye on what Simply Media has been outputting especially over the last couple of years. I have seen programs such as Softly, Softly: Taskforce , Doomwatch , Hugh and I , and Dr. Finlay�s Casebook get a DVD release.  Pretty much all of the releases above, I would have never thought any of those would have received a release in a physical format. It�s great to be wrong about this sort of thing because Simply Media keeps putting out content that features some of the heyday of BBC production. Monday, July 03 sees the release of the first set of Charles Dickens classics all produced by the BBC. Three separate titles have been released for the first time on DVD and it has been a treat to watch these: Our Mutual Friend (1958), Great Expectations (1967) & Dombey And Son (1969). I guess what I am really pleased about with this ...

DVD Review The Ice Warriors

DVD Review The Ice Warriors Doctor Who: The Ice Warriors Special Edition 2-DVD Set   (Main Feature: 143 min) Released by BBC Home Entertainment on September 17, 2013. SRP $34.98 (DVD) Subtitles: English SDH 4:3 Mono black & white (Main Feature) For those who do not want to believe a large cache of missing Doctor Who episodes have been returned, we get another release that takes missing episodes and gives it new lease on life by being animated. This time we look at the very first story to feature that race from Mars known as the Ice Warriors. It supports a tremendous guest cast, generally looks really good and is considered an all-time classic from the famous Season 5 �Monster Season� of Doctor Who . This seems to have everything but yet I find that I have always been underwhelmed by the story. I go a long way back with The Ice Warriors . When I was younger and was into the whole video tape-trading culture, we were extremely happy when we heard the discovery of Episodes 1,4,5,6...