Skip to main content

Esoterica Exotica Underneathica

Esoterica Exotica Underneathica





1980 was my Year Zero.  I was a Midwest high school freshman (class of 1984).   AC/DC and REO seemed inescapable.  It was driving me up The Wall.  I had to go in through the out door, and seek out scary monsters and super creeps.

It was a year of impressive debuts, by the Cramps, X, Pylon, Feelies, Wipers, Pretenders, Young Marble Giants, Killing Joke...  It was also a time of reinvention:  Off the Wall, Remain in Light, and Doc at the Radar Station.  There were endings, too.  In 1980, video killed the radio star.  Chapman shot Lennon.  Ian Curtis cancelled his US tour, and Darby Crash didnt make it to his big screen premiere.   

I started trading tapes and sending away for strange records.  Made a fanzine and got some high weirdness by mail.  I was underage but got into a few clubs where I caught glimpses of hidden places and forbidden rites.



Barefoot on the Accelerator is a soundtrack to my early 80s forays into the American post-punk underground.  These songs still haunt me three decades later.   One is a recording from an Ama-Dots show at the Starship, Milwaukees mini Masque.  I wish the voice of the incomparable Boolah was more audible, or that you could see Gary scraping his guitar with primitive tools.  But you can sense the Ama-Dots feral energy and floor-pounding rhythms.

Post-punk is a term that has lost significance with repetition.  In the early 80s, it seemed that anyone could invent all manner of ways to conjure up the unheard music.   The significance of PiL, Wire, the Slits, and the Gang of Four was easy to see from across the pond, and not hard to emulate.  But back then, as now, no one could be certain who would be recognized by future listeners as our own visionaries and pioneers.  We couldnt see our forest; too dizzy swinging from the trees.

Some of our pioneers blazed trails, while others glimmered in dark corners.  Some were lured out into the open by whispers of fame, or were tricked by reflections in the underwater moonlight.  A few carved secret tunnels discovered years after they were abandoned by the archaeologists of post-punk.  Here is a sample extricated from that eras esoterica, exotica, and underneathica.

Various - Barefoot on the Accelerator: Soundtrack to an 80s Foray 
into the American Post-Punk Underground

Chrome - New Age
Plasticland - Office Skills
Pre-Fix - Underneathica
Slovenly - Squeaky Clean
Ike Yard - M. Kurtz
Blackouts - Dead Mans Curve
Pere Ubu - Misery Goats
Ama-Dots - Qualms
Minimal Man - Now I Want it All
Your Food - Leave
Dementia Precox - Dead on 2 Legs Luncheonette
Wounds - Grey
Kommunity FX - Tribulations
Savage Republic - Next to Nothing
Dangerous Birds - Smile on Your Face
Los Nuns - Walking the Beat
Half Japanese - Rosemarys Baby
Mission of Burma - Trem Two
100 Flowers - Strip Club
Raymilland - Tronada (edit)
Factrix - Ballad of the Grim Rider
Flesh Eaters - Divine Horseman

Enjoy,
Jonder

download file now

Popular posts from this blog

DVD Review Midsomer Murders Tom Barnabys Last Cases

DVD Review Midsomer Murders Tom Barnabys Last Cases Midsomer Murders: Tom Barnaby�s Last Cases DVD 15-Discs (24 hours) Released by Acorn Media on March 26, 2013. SRP $149.99 (DVD) Subtitles: English SDH 16:9 �I�m going to have my cake and eat it.� I was reading my review I did last year for the DVD set Midsomer Murders: Mayhem & Mystery Files and I was thinking how strange it was to have a period of my life without having this series I could go back to again and again. When I wrote the first review for this series, I knew I was going to like it but I was really surprised by how much I liked it. That DVD set is one that I go back to often. Luckily I have a short-term memory so I am not always sure who the murderer was but I really enjoy the settings and main characters. Purchasing this title from the link above directly helps my site! When I was able to review this new set, Midsomer Murders: Tom Barnaby�s Last Cases , I was very happy because I was able to see more great episod...

DVD Review Three Classic Charles Dickens BBC Productions

DVD Review Three Classic Charles Dickens BBC Productions As a fan of British television, especially programs from the 1960s & 1970s, I have been keeping my eye on what Simply Media has been outputting especially over the last couple of years. I have seen programs such as Softly, Softly: Taskforce , Doomwatch , Hugh and I , and Dr. Finlay�s Casebook get a DVD release.  Pretty much all of the releases above, I would have never thought any of those would have received a release in a physical format. It�s great to be wrong about this sort of thing because Simply Media keeps putting out content that features some of the heyday of BBC production. Monday, July 03 sees the release of the first set of Charles Dickens classics all produced by the BBC. Three separate titles have been released for the first time on DVD and it has been a treat to watch these: Our Mutual Friend (1958), Great Expectations (1967) & Dombey And Son (1969). I guess what I am really pleased about with this ...

DVD Review The Ice Warriors

DVD Review The Ice Warriors Doctor Who: The Ice Warriors Special Edition 2-DVD Set   (Main Feature: 143 min) Released by BBC Home Entertainment on September 17, 2013. SRP $34.98 (DVD) Subtitles: English SDH 4:3 Mono black & white (Main Feature) For those who do not want to believe a large cache of missing Doctor Who episodes have been returned, we get another release that takes missing episodes and gives it new lease on life by being animated. This time we look at the very first story to feature that race from Mars known as the Ice Warriors. It supports a tremendous guest cast, generally looks really good and is considered an all-time classic from the famous Season 5 �Monster Season� of Doctor Who . This seems to have everything but yet I find that I have always been underwhelmed by the story. I go a long way back with The Ice Warriors . When I was younger and was into the whole video tape-trading culture, we were extremely happy when we heard the discovery of Episodes 1,4,5,6...