Skip to main content

Esperance River

Esperance River


Wednesday 16th September 2015

Esperance River
Todays walk was along the Esperance River in the Raminea Plains area.
The walk start was on an old side track off Esperance River Road which turns off the highway at Strathblane. I had been here before when I walked Raminea Plains last year.
I set off up the old track that headed towards the river and turned south east to hopefully pick up another track that should go along the riverbank in a northerly direction. Well, I did find the track, eventually, but it was severely overgrown, but having come this far I persevered with it until I came to a clearer track. There was not a great deal to see along this section anyway so it is probably best to avoid this part and take the short cut I used on the way back. It is overgrown also but is much shorter.



 The track carried on along the river where there were plenty of spots to go down to the bank and check out the scenery. I soon reached the bridge on Esperance River Road that spans the river.



 There were camping spots on either side of the bridge and the western side has a picnic shelter, BBQ and toilet. After crossing the bridge I once more headed to the bank of the river and walked along an old track.
From the Bridge

From the Bridge



I continued on and the track seemed to peter out and then I was following a faint pad (human or animal, I am not sure) but this also disappeared and then I was bush bashing through cutting grass and assorted scrub. I was trying to cut straight across to the river but the scrub was too bad, so elected to walk out to the road and follow a track I knew was there back down to the river. This worked out okay and I finally reached the area I had been aiming for. This was a nice spot where there were more camping spots and a river crossing of sorts.
Camping area



Some one has been clever



River crossing
I walked up and down the river trying to find a place where I could cross without getting my boots wet, but decided to opt for safety and walk in the water. The rocks were simply too slippery to provide a easy crossing. I found a stick to steady myself and crossed over. The water was up to my knees in places but not flowing too swiftly. I then sloshed uphill on an old track to a road and down another track to a point where the river does an S bend. This was a lovely spot and my destination.
At the S bend

At the S bend

Some one else has been clever

Downstream of the S bend
From here I walked back along the bank to the river crossing and then back along the road and various tracks to the car.
This was a very enjoyable walk and the river scenery was very pretty.
Distance: 11.4 kms.
Time: 433"
Ascent: 156 metres
Click here to download GPX file.



download file now

Popular posts from this blog

DVD Review Midsomer Murders Tom Barnabys Last Cases

DVD Review Midsomer Murders Tom Barnabys Last Cases Midsomer Murders: Tom Barnaby�s Last Cases DVD 15-Discs (24 hours) Released by Acorn Media on March 26, 2013. SRP $149.99 (DVD) Subtitles: English SDH 16:9 �I�m going to have my cake and eat it.� I was reading my review I did last year for the DVD set Midsomer Murders: Mayhem & Mystery Files and I was thinking how strange it was to have a period of my life without having this series I could go back to again and again. When I wrote the first review for this series, I knew I was going to like it but I was really surprised by how much I liked it. That DVD set is one that I go back to often. Luckily I have a short-term memory so I am not always sure who the murderer was but I really enjoy the settings and main characters. Purchasing this title from the link above directly helps my site! When I was able to review this new set, Midsomer Murders: Tom Barnaby�s Last Cases , I was very happy because I was able to see more great episod...

DVD Review Three Classic Charles Dickens BBC Productions

DVD Review Three Classic Charles Dickens BBC Productions As a fan of British television, especially programs from the 1960s & 1970s, I have been keeping my eye on what Simply Media has been outputting especially over the last couple of years. I have seen programs such as Softly, Softly: Taskforce , Doomwatch , Hugh and I , and Dr. Finlay�s Casebook get a DVD release.  Pretty much all of the releases above, I would have never thought any of those would have received a release in a physical format. It�s great to be wrong about this sort of thing because Simply Media keeps putting out content that features some of the heyday of BBC production. Monday, July 03 sees the release of the first set of Charles Dickens classics all produced by the BBC. Three separate titles have been released for the first time on DVD and it has been a treat to watch these: Our Mutual Friend (1958), Great Expectations (1967) & Dombey And Son (1969). I guess what I am really pleased about with this ...

DVD Review The Ice Warriors

DVD Review The Ice Warriors Doctor Who: The Ice Warriors Special Edition 2-DVD Set   (Main Feature: 143 min) Released by BBC Home Entertainment on September 17, 2013. SRP $34.98 (DVD) Subtitles: English SDH 4:3 Mono black & white (Main Feature) For those who do not want to believe a large cache of missing Doctor Who episodes have been returned, we get another release that takes missing episodes and gives it new lease on life by being animated. This time we look at the very first story to feature that race from Mars known as the Ice Warriors. It supports a tremendous guest cast, generally looks really good and is considered an all-time classic from the famous Season 5 �Monster Season� of Doctor Who . This seems to have everything but yet I find that I have always been underwhelmed by the story. I go a long way back with The Ice Warriors . When I was younger and was into the whole video tape-trading culture, we were extremely happy when we heard the discovery of Episodes 1,4,5,6...