Skip to main content

EU cookie law and fake Chrome extensions

EU cookie law and fake Chrome extensions



When a website is serving up malware to unsuspecting visitors, its often not too hard to find the culprit. In some cases however, it takes a bit more digging. When visiting a (not named on request) specific website, youre presented with the following message:

Your browser contains MALWARE. You have to install Chrome Malware Removal tool











After some digging on the site, nothing was suspicious at first sight. However... It did have a EU cookie law pop-up/consent:










The script behind it is as follows:









... Which contains:








Both scripts contain the warning message and a redirect to the Google Chrome store:

lang = en;
var msg = Your browser contains MALWARE. You have to install Chrome Malware Removal tool.;
if (lang == es) msg = "Su navegador contiene malware. Usted tiene que instalar la herramienta de eliminaci�n de malware Chrome.";
if (lang == it) msg = "Il tuo browser contiene malware. � necessario installare strumento di rimozione malware Chrome.";
if (lang == fr) msg = "Votre navigateur contient MALWARE. Vous devez installer loutil de suppression de logiciels malveillants Chrome.";
if (lang == pt) msg = "Seu navegador cont�m malware. Voc� tem que instalar o Ferramenta de remo��o Chrome Malware.";
if (lang == de) msg = "Ihr Browser enth�lt MALWARE. Sie m�ssen Chrome Malware Removal Tool zu installieren.";
if (lang == ru) msg = "??? ??????? ???????? ??????????? ???. ?? ?????? ?????????? ?????????? ??? ?????????? ???????????? ????.";
if (lang == gr) msg = "?? ????????? ?????????? ??? ???????? ????????? ?????????. ?? ?????? ?? ????????????? ?? Chrome Malware ???????? ?????????.";

You can find both scripts on Pastebin here and here.


Chrome Malware Removal Tool





























At time of writing, it has over 22,000 users. You can find the malicious extension here.

UPDATE 27/07: the malicious extension has now been removed from the Chrome store.

To remove an extension from Chrome:








It is not clear whether the site offering the cookie consent script is hacked, or is in on the ploy.

You can find indicators (for what its worth) as always on the AlienVault OTX.



Conclusion

Stay clear from scripts offered by 3rd party EU cookie consent websites and rather create your own pop-up. A trustworthy site to create this for example is cookie-script.

As always when managing a website, keep your CMS (if any) updated as well as any plugins that may be running.

You can find more tips on how to prevent, find (and remove) malicious scripts on your website here.

download file now

Popular posts from this blog

DVD Review Midsomer Murders Tom Barnabys Last Cases

DVD Review Midsomer Murders Tom Barnabys Last Cases Midsomer Murders: Tom Barnaby�s Last Cases DVD 15-Discs (24 hours) Released by Acorn Media on March 26, 2013. SRP $149.99 (DVD) Subtitles: English SDH 16:9 �I�m going to have my cake and eat it.� I was reading my review I did last year for the DVD set Midsomer Murders: Mayhem & Mystery Files and I was thinking how strange it was to have a period of my life without having this series I could go back to again and again. When I wrote the first review for this series, I knew I was going to like it but I was really surprised by how much I liked it. That DVD set is one that I go back to often. Luckily I have a short-term memory so I am not always sure who the murderer was but I really enjoy the settings and main characters. Purchasing this title from the link above directly helps my site! When I was able to review this new set, Midsomer Murders: Tom Barnaby�s Last Cases , I was very happy because I was able to see more great episod...

DVD Review Three Classic Charles Dickens BBC Productions

DVD Review Three Classic Charles Dickens BBC Productions As a fan of British television, especially programs from the 1960s & 1970s, I have been keeping my eye on what Simply Media has been outputting especially over the last couple of years. I have seen programs such as Softly, Softly: Taskforce , Doomwatch , Hugh and I , and Dr. Finlay�s Casebook get a DVD release.  Pretty much all of the releases above, I would have never thought any of those would have received a release in a physical format. It�s great to be wrong about this sort of thing because Simply Media keeps putting out content that features some of the heyday of BBC production. Monday, July 03 sees the release of the first set of Charles Dickens classics all produced by the BBC. Three separate titles have been released for the first time on DVD and it has been a treat to watch these: Our Mutual Friend (1958), Great Expectations (1967) & Dombey And Son (1969). I guess what I am really pleased about with this ...

DVD Review The Ice Warriors

DVD Review The Ice Warriors Doctor Who: The Ice Warriors Special Edition 2-DVD Set   (Main Feature: 143 min) Released by BBC Home Entertainment on September 17, 2013. SRP $34.98 (DVD) Subtitles: English SDH 4:3 Mono black & white (Main Feature) For those who do not want to believe a large cache of missing Doctor Who episodes have been returned, we get another release that takes missing episodes and gives it new lease on life by being animated. This time we look at the very first story to feature that race from Mars known as the Ice Warriors. It supports a tremendous guest cast, generally looks really good and is considered an all-time classic from the famous Season 5 �Monster Season� of Doctor Who . This seems to have everything but yet I find that I have always been underwhelmed by the story. I go a long way back with The Ice Warriors . When I was younger and was into the whole video tape-trading culture, we were extremely happy when we heard the discovery of Episodes 1,4,5,6...